Author Topic: Old barrel question  (Read 2468 times)

Offline Gaeckle

Old barrel question
« on: September 22, 2014, 04:23:08 AM »
Recently, I picked up a very old and an interesting barrel. It's a 26 inch long smoothbore that looks like a reduced-in- size version of a Brown Bess barrel. There are two British proofs on the left with the letters "WSF" between them. Touchhole is present, I have removed the breechplug (the barrel is pretty good for it's age), there is a bayonet lug on the end of the barrel, but the oddest thing is that about 5 inches from the muzzle it looks like the barrel has been swedged in a reduction of it's diameter.....there is a definite bell reduction. The caliber is just a tad over 75 (haven't put a mic on it yet, but it is roughly 3/4 inch from inside barrel wall to the other). There are two barrel lugs on the bottom of the barrel and you can faintly see the welded seam where the barrel was forged together. On the bottom about 6 inches from the breech are 2 dots and 5 hash marks (production marks?).

I ran a tight wad of steel wool down the barrel and I cannot detect any tightness or choking wher the barrel is swedged down in size.

Question is, is this for a boarding weapon? Did the British (or anybody for that matter) have such a short barreled large caliber weapon with a bayonet lug? Obviously such a thing existed (I have the barrel), but I cannot find any reference for this.

Anybody know anything about this sorta stuff? I'd love to reconstitute this back into something, but I need to have some reference.

Offline Dave B

Re: Old barrel question
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 08:03:15 AM »
For what its worth. Checking through H.L.Blackmore's British Military Firearms 1650-1850  they show a few Grenade guns that look to have shorter barrels  of the the three one looks like a 26" barrel. I say looks like because the next page has Carbines with 28" barrels mentioned in the text and these being in the same scale are slightly shorter. The grenade cup attaches using the bayonet lug. I don't know enough about the British stuff but if it was made by the tower it would have a broad arrow on the barrel some where. If it were made by a contracted individual it may not have one but others here have more expertise than I on this.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 03:30:14 PM »
This might be moved over to 'Collecting' at some point? Up to you, just say when.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 03:57:40 PM »
This might be moved over to 'Collecting' at some point? Up to you, just say when.

It could stay here........

I think I am homing in on my own question, been kicking out a few projects (even got some of the old 'honey-do' stuff out of the way....then she added more) and I've been searching for the answer when I get home from work in the wee hours of the day.

From what I can determine the barrel could most likely be from an Elliot Carbine. I've pretty much got everything I need to reconstitute the barrel into a working gun with the exception of a butplate: got a lock, guard, trigger and plate and a chunk of walnut.....even have the thimbles.

There is no broad arrow, but there are cypher marks (two of them). The end of the barrel has been worked to reduce the overall diameter and at first I thought it would be for the bayonet, but a grenade cup may be just what that reduction could be for.....neat when you get these old babies that speak of history.