Author Topic: 2-piece Snyder County Type Lower Entry Pipe Construction?  (Read 4148 times)

Offline Loudy

2-piece Snyder County Type Lower Entry Pipe Construction?
« on: February 11, 2009, 10:00:08 PM »
I am in the midst of a Snyder County longrifle recreation project.  The original rifle that I'm replicating has a two-piece lower ramrod entry pipe.  The two-pieces appear to be held together with a single iron rivet.  I have not taken the pipe out of the original rifle to examine the construction any more closely.  I tried making a couple such pipes using various techniques.  They just don't look right.  Has anyone here ever attempted a similar project?  Any tips would be greatly appreciated. 

Mark Loudenslager     

Offline Loudy

Re: 2-piece Snyder County Type Lower Entry Pipe Construction?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 05:23:31 AM »
Well, I'm going to try posting a few photos of the original rifle that I'm trying to recreate.  I'll attempt to include a close-up photo of the entry pipe that I'm struggling with.  Perhaps this will spur some replies?  Much thanks go out to Acer for his tutorial on how to insert photos (hope it works).

Mark Loudenslager

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 07:34:11 AM »
Mark - I;v'e made those at times although most originals I've seen utilized  copper rivet as opposed to iron.  It's just a plain pipe w. a little added length, then the tail piece is hammered over a wood form.  The rivet is riveted w/ a mandril in the pipe, not terribly tight but rather just there really to hold it in place for a solder joint.  Seemed to be really popular 'up the river' but have also seen some Angstadt rifles done this way as well as a small number of what look like Blue mtn. rifles/allamengal.  There is always solder involved.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Dave B

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 09:00:05 AM »
Mark,
Thanks for the post. I have not seen this type of entry pipe before.
Eric ,
Thanks for the aditional info on your seeing these in Lehigh co.
I wil be adding it to my infomation on Snyder co. rifles
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Loudy

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 03:18:26 PM »
Eric,

Thanks for the comments.  I will give the lose rivet approach a try.  I'll also try forming the tail piece fully over a form before riveting it to the pipe.  I may be wrong about the rivet being iron.  It may indeed be copper as you suggested.  The nosecap is clearly riveted in place with a copper rivet.  Any speculation regarding how these Snyder County gunsmiths got hooked on the two-piece construction technique?  Are you familiar with any early "up the river" gunsmiths that used this method?  I haven't examined enough Sam Baum rifles close enough to know if this method was used in his shop.  Thanks again.

Mark               

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 04:03:39 PM »
Dave - I would shy away from saying I've seen it in what is now Lehigh Co.; the pieces I've seen outside of the upper Susquehanna region were all attributable to Berks Co (various of the Peter Angstadts arond Kutztown/south of Kutztown, and some funky pieces probably from up around Albany and Greenwich twp.).

I have seen a good number of Baum rifles w/ pipes made like this.  Signed rifles.  I wouldn't say all of them and frankly I've kind of filed the design away in the back of my mind as a 'typical' upper Susq. trait. although you won;t see it on every rifle of the area obviously.

Very definitely need to form the tailpiece before riveting it.  Rolling down the forward portion - the portion which attaches to the pipe - is akin to forming a brass 1-pc. nosecap.  This creates the slight 'step' in the finished product.  You'll need to clean up w/ a round file afterwards to carefully fit it to the pipe.  Copper works well for rivets here as it is even softer than brass so can be riveted easily w/o too much hammering (and thus deforming the brass).   After you roll your pipe, make the tailpiece and orient the two pieces, drill through w. a tiny drill then disassemble - peel the pipe back open slightly so you can get a larger drill bit at the inside of the hole to create a tiny countersink on the inside of the pipe.  Make a rivet in a nail/rivet header so you already have a peined head on one end - this goes inside the pipe - put a mandril in the pipe to hold it in place and then reinstall the tailpiece and w/ the pipe clamped in the vice w. mandril in it, hold the tailpiece in place and very lightly pein the outside of the rivet.  Look at it closely in profile, make sure angles are what you want, then solder.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline b bogart

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 05:46:34 PM »
I love this kind of in depth instruction/discussion. The details are always interesting! Thanks!
Bruce