Author Topic: Grip caps  (Read 4739 times)

Naphtali

Grip caps
« on: October 13, 2014, 07:21:03 PM »
On my porch in a rocking chair and smoking one of my three-a-month cigars, I was reading Donald Dallas' The British Sporting Gun and Rifle. The first 60 pages or so are about percussion cap lock long arms. One thing stands out. Many of these beautiful guns and rifles have grip caps on their pistol and semipistol grips.

When viewing photographs of currently manufactured percussion cap lock guns and rifles, including those custom built, I seldom detect a grip cap.

Why?

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Grip caps
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 07:32:57 PM »
Its mostly a British thing IMHO but they sure do add alot of class to the rifles. The more open grip is my first choice with clean lines and cheqered grip. I also have that book. Not an american longrifle though might be one reason you dont see them as often.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 08:21:20 PM »
When viewing photographs of "currently manufactured" percussion cap lock guns and rifles, including those "custom built," I seldom detect a grip cap.

Why?
What "currently manufactured" guns have pistol grip stocks"
As for "custom built" all my English rifles have grip caps of steel, horn, ebony, or rosewood, with the exception of one which will have a skeleton grip cap and buttplate.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Naphtali

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 07:01:08 PM »
I must admit I was apprehensive about mentioning grip caps - the politically correct police.

I am having a pair of English-style .72-caliber express rifles built for which I want grip caps. But over-the-counter grip caps in Midway and Brownell's catalogs have too many choices. For about 30 seconds I considered a NECG trap grip cap. And then I came to my senses.

Are there grip caps available that you would be comfortable having installed on your Big Bore Express rifles? If there exist such over-the-counter grip caps, I will appreciate you identifying them. If there are styles of grip caps for Alexander Henry/Rigby rifles, these will be exceptionally useful.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 07:32:44 PM »
On classic bolt action rifles, I tend to use ebony.  Would that be appropriate for an express rifle? 

I have a bunch of ebony pieces.  I select or make a piece that is the right thickness and grain flow.  I then cut it oval.  Then I cut the cove/ogee shape using a dremil router.  Sometimes I make a dome shape.  I epoxy them to the stock.  One could certainly get really fancy and use a screw to attach it and put a checkering pattern in a panel.  The cost of the steel ones is off putting to me.  The ebony ones look good to me.  I seem to recall seeing ebony being used for forend tip inserts and grip caps on old guns. 

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 08:09:31 PM »
TOTW and other muzzle loading vendors sell them with the English hardware.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 11:30:10 PM »
The Alex Henry and Rigby grip caps are the same as Brownells sells.  The one that came with Don Brown's kit was the Paul Dressel one.  I also use the one by Leonard Brownell and keep one as a template to trace around when making them from other materials.

This is the Dressel one.

This is using the same one as a pattern for a skeleton cap.

This is an ebony one on a Rigby.

I also have a current build using water buffalo horn, but don't have pics of it yet.

Other than steel, the grip cap is usually from the same material as the nose cap.  They aren't hard to make and anyone with a modicum of talent should be able to do so.  Everything doesn't have to be purchase from a supplier

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Naphtali

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 05:25:58 AM »
Many thanks, guys. It is a relief to realize that my preferences are reasonable for the muzzleloaders on which I want them to be used.

About the only thing I might give consideration is: solid, or skeletonized. My preference as I type is solid. But I doubt whether I'll stress over the choice.

Once again, you've smoothed a potential bump in the builds.

Thanks.