Author Topic: Jaeger Cheekpieces  (Read 4932 times)

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
Jaeger Cheekpieces
« on: October 16, 2014, 05:56:30 PM »
Were the rounded, teardrop cheek pieces such as you see on 19th century rifles commonplace in the German guns of the 18th century?

I am making a project out of personalizing and backdating a Pedersoli and never really thought about Jaegers before.

Thanks

The Capgun KId

Offline Chris Treichel

Re: Jaeger Cheekpieces
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 07:57:00 PM »
http://www.hermann-historica.de/db2_en/index.php German Auction House... look through their past auctions.  More Germanic Rifles than you can shake a stick at. Great zoom feature to get a really close look. If you are looking for a military one... go down to the military section otherwise the civilian ones are under flintlocks and percussion arms in the firearms section. 

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 03:27:42 PM »
The gun you have will never look like a jeager no matter how you squint your eyes or hold your tongue. It has a Bivens Lancaster buttplate and trigger guard, some sort of abomination sideplate and a really funkadelic cheek piece. It's beyond hope of ever becoming other than what it already is which is a sawed off gun.
 I've been doing this for 35 years and this is my advice. Shoot it like it is and enjoy it while you save up more money to buy a real gun. You mess up the wood with  ":home improvements" and it will lose what ever value it has, which will be important when you're ready to move on and want to sell this peculiar gun.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 06:08:17 PM »
What Mike says!

Offline Monty59

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 08:36:23 PM »
Hello, I'm new here in the forum I live in germany and I'm a collector of antique german jeager rifles but also english officers pistols and I have a few contemporary long rifles.
I can only confirm what the previous speaker says a pedersoli will never looks like a real german jeager rifle. I can not unterstand to this day why pedersoli build stuff like this.

Monty
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 08:45:50 PM by Monty59 »

Offline thecapgunkid

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 09:34:44 PM »
You didn't lose any sleep over this didja, Mike?  I'll probably just add some incise and flatten the cheekpiece and forego the Jaeger altogether.  I am not talented enough to build from scratch, so if I gotta monkey with a gun it'll be a production model. This isn't for re-sale but rather is just a project.   "Sawed off" is an easy gun to clean and use on a trail walk as a change of pace. 

I just wanna know when rounded cheekpieces started, not incite a forum dispute. If you're feeling charitable enough you might also want to clue me in on when color case hardening came about.

Thanks

Greg

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 10:32:43 PM »
My friend Helmut Mohr in Mayen/Hausen says there are no flintlock Schuetzen rifles from the old days but Pedersoili is making them and he had to star making them as a custom gun for those who want a German made rifle.

Bob Roller

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 04:04:15 PM »
You didn't lose any sleep over this didja, Mike?
Not likely.

It always works out this way, try to help out a new guy and save him some heart ache and sorrow and it's never appreciated. Who recommended this gun to you, or did you just figure this was what  you wanted on your own.?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline thecapgunkid

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 02:32:22 AM »
The new guy will survive the crisis. 

Thanks to the rest of you. 

Now that we have established that personalizing this gun won't go down the Jager path, the next stop is Dixons, a bunch of research and a lotta coffee.

Since it's a factory gun, putting a little incise, some forestock molding, some butt stock molding and some bone toeplate and muzzlecap parts won't result in a museum piece or break my heart or my bank. The gun is what it is...now it'll just be MY is what it is.

Yo, Nate...can you spare some wisdom about carving walnut versus maple?

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 02:45:07 AM »
For me at least, walnut is much more difficult. It tends to splinter for me.  I seldom do it.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 02:56:04 AM »
I'm not crazy about carving walnut, finding it much more difficult to do than maple. Last time I did a soak in with heat beeswax finish before carving, and that made it a lot easier to do. Once the carving was done, I redid the beeswax thing, a good rubbing with burlap,and then gave it a light finish of varnish oil.  Try it on a scrap…you might like it.

omark

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 04:33:16 AM »
Never have found out when rounded cheek pieces came about. The original question.    Mark.    And I sure don't know