Author Topic: Is there some one that can straighten a smooth bore barrel  (Read 6193 times)

gard72977

Is there some one that can straighten a smooth bore barrel
« on: November 01, 2014, 02:52:05 AM »
I was at the range and we used the barrel bending fixture to bend the barrel on my North Star West Trade gun. It is not exactly on target but not too far off. I have decided to sell it and would like to get it straightened before I offer it.

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Is there some one that can straighten a smooth bore barrel
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 03:42:54 PM »
Look for the right crotch in a tree and bend away.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 03:58:22 PM »
Why would you not use the same "barrel bering fixture" to bend it straight ??

mattdog

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 12:08:54 AM »
Maybe you could contact North Star West...?

Call Matt @ 406.822.8778

jamesthomas

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 02:45:19 AM »
I was at the range and we used the barrel bending fixture to bend the barrel on my North Star West Trade gun. It is not exactly on target but not too far off. I have decided to sell it and would like to get it straightened before I offer it.

So your gonna sell a gun where the barrel has been bent twice? once to somewhat get on target, then bend it back (so its even worse). I hope you tell the guy you've bent it twice and that  he will probably have to bend it again to get it to shoot straight?. 

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 03:16:41 PM »

So your gonna sell a gun where the barrel has been bent twice? once to somewhat get on target, then bend it back (so its even worse). I hope you tell the guy you've bent it twice and that  he will probably have to bend it again to get it to shoot straight?. 
Bending smoothbore barrels to get them to shoot where you want is common.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

gard72977

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 04:07:29 PM »

I was trying to have this professionally done to get it right. You make is sound like im trying to get over on someone. I made a post with my intentions for the gun to get help.

gard72977

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 04:13:16 PM »
This has been a fun hobby but I have a parent that is in hospice and having to work more keeps me from attending the events. I will be selling my Rondy stuff and would like to move my guns. I did not want to offer a gun with a barrel that is not right. The last time I was at the club that is a hour and a half away we bent the barrel on a fixture and it is shooting better but not quite on target. I did not have time before the match to keep working on it. I shot my rifle and went home. That was several months ago and now I have decided to get out of the hobby because I don't have time.

Should I just offer the gun like it is?

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 04:20:05 PM »
Ditto Mike. Is common and WAS common.

Vomitus

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 09:23:24 PM »
  I've straightened a few. No big deal with a smoothbore. Common place.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 05:20:07 PM »
If you bend the barrel back to where it was originally (which is almost impossible), then the next owner will have to re bend to get it shooting right.

Leave it alone and offer it as is. You would not put new sights on a rifle that is already sighted in.

omark

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 03:01:20 AM »
And to make yourself feel better, tell the prospective buyer what was done and why. It would not deter me from buying.       Mark

Offline Dave B

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 09:31:03 PM »
Its my under standing that you feel that you didnt bend the barrel far enough to get the pattern you were expecting.
Disclosure is all ways best. With that being said I would think that you should have some one else shoot it to double check the pattern   It may be perfectly fine with them shooting it.  I had a friend ask me to shoot his rifle to check the open patern he was  getting.  It was not consistent in grouping from the bench. I shot it three times and got a nice group but 3" low in the 7 o clock. He was content with it shooting a 5" group at 100 yrds. I would have adjusted the sights for my taste. to each his own.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 10:15:29 PM »
I agree with the rest...leave it as is, and explain how you have improved it.  The new owner won't know what to expect until he shoots it, and if you've already made it shoot closer to where you're looking, that's a boon.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.