Author Topic: Hawken build  (Read 2833 times)

Offline FALout

Hawken build
« on: November 12, 2014, 02:01:17 AM »
I'm looking at rifle to work on next as I'm getting closer to finishing the current one.  It's a Hawken that good friend started many years ago that never was completed.  I have most, but not all the parts to finish it.  He inletted the barrel and tang, had most of the lock in, and the butt plate.  My question, is order of work concerning the entry pipe, nose cap, and rib?  From what drawings I have and pictures, looks like things have to line up correctly to look right.  Somewhere the lock was lost, but I have a Robbins lock that I know he used on his Hawken builds, looks like it will fit the inlet that he did.  I really wish I would have had more interest in Hawkens when he was around, but I was always into longrifles.  This build has been sitting in a corner of my shop for 12-15 years, seems like it time to finish it for him.  Been doing some searching of the forum, but any suggestions will be gladly appreciated.
Bob

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Re: Hawken build
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 07:57:33 AM »
For the ram rod to fit flush in the groove of the nose cap and line up with the ID of the rear thimble it is esential that they line up with the groove in the rib. Otherwise you end up with a gap between the rod and groove in the rib at the nose cap and or the entry thimble. I would measure the rib height and make everything match that height.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 08:30:00 AM »
Inlet the barrel.  Then the breech and tang.  Excluding lock, triggers, butt plate, the barrel's tenons need to be attached, and the slides installed to secure the barrel properly to the wood.  It is the slides in the wood that hold the stock and barrel together, not the escutcheon plates.  Now the rib must be attached to the barrel, taking into account the length of the entry pipe, and the nose piece, and the rod pipes attached to the rib.  Now the hole can be drilled for the rod.  I use the thimbles to guide the drill...this aligns the hole, the entry pipe's location, and the nose piece's location.  The rib should not contact hard against the nose piece...a few thou clearance is good.  I inlet the entry pipe first, and then the nose piece, after rough shaping the forearm...leave lots of wood to dress down to the nose piece later.
I cannot say if this is the correct order...just how I go about it.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline FALout

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 01:42:08 PM »
Thanks guys, that gives me some good points to consider as I'm looking over this build.  The rib is one of the items I'm missing, so I better get that ordered right away.
Bob