Author Topic: douglas barrel  (Read 2278 times)

Offline retired fella

douglas barrel
« on: November 17, 2014, 09:42:55 PM »
Back in the mid 70s I bought what I thought was a Douglas barrel from E Christopher Arms in their Milford store and built a 50 cal flinter.  Years later I just restocked into a shorter plains rifle and noticed that the barrel was not stamped with the Douglas name or identifying marks..I know that E Christopher did handle the brand.  Also it has 7 lands/grooves which was made for Golden Age Arms by Douglas.  Any ideas as to why it would not have been stamped??  Not that it made a whole lot of difference.  Shoots good.

Offline Old Ford2

Re: douglas barrel
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 03:33:57 PM »
Hi,
It could be that when the rifle was being built, the end of the barrel that had the makers marks could have been cut off for some reason.
Back in the 70's we did not really care who made the barrels ( ignorance??) as long as they were round (inside) with square (octagon) outside, we were happy.
We were so happy to see and use the Dixie catalogue.
Some of the early barrels were drilled way off center, so we had to align the barrels so that the off center was up or down, as long as it was not left or right.
The gun barrel makers of today are far better than early Numrich or early Douglas.
Douglas barrels were renown for their quality ( quality of rifling )
Many Numrich barrels did not have a makers mark on them.
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline retired fella

Re: douglas barrel
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 05:01:20 PM »
thank you Fred for the info.  The barrel was not cut down except by me while doing the restock.  Were the barrels made by Douglas marked as such for Golden Age Arms or did GAA stamp them with their name?