Author Topic: Flash Hole Cone Tool  (Read 7708 times)

Offline James Wilson Everett

Flash Hole Cone Tool
« on: November 13, 2014, 04:48:41 PM »
Guys,

I was just visiting the gun shop in Colonial Williamsburg, what a great place.  First, the staff and artisans are not only extremely talented, they are also very friendly, welcoming and gracious.  What a joy it was to chat with these guys.

We were comparing our gunsmithing tools - screw makers, tumbler mills, etc.  Here is one that is noteworthy, a barrel flash hole cone tool.  The gunsmiths did give permission to post these photos, thanks to them.

[U

The tool size can be used in bores of about 0.50 caliber and larger.  The gunsmiths said that the tool operation would be improved if the large handle is removed to enable the tool to be clamped in the jaws of a vise.  Also, the turning crank should be switched to the same side as the cutter.  With these modifications the tool would be clamped in the vise with the cutter and crank pointing upwards, the breech end of the barrel slipped over the tool until the cutter tip entered the flash hole, then turn the crank.  This way the gunsmith is only holding the crank handle and the weight of the barrel provides the force to do the cutting.

A really neat and beautiful tool.  I am planning to make one with the suggested improvements, and also a bit smaller to use the tool in barrels down to 0.40 caliber.

Thanks again to the guys at the Colonial Williamsburg gunshop.
Jim
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 05:52:06 PM by James Wilson Everett »

Offline alyce-james

Re: Flash Hole Cone Tool
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 05:21:33 PM »
Good morning Mr. Everett; Sir. thanks for sharing this interesting coning tool and information. Have a great day. AJ.
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 06:12:46 PM »
I saw that same tool at the CLA many years ago at the Colonial Williamsburg table.  I took a few pictures of it myself and then went home and made a copy.  I don't want to steal your thread but here are a couple pictures of the one I copied.
David

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 07:34:25 PM »
Beware of man in grass skirt selling internal coning tools.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 09:53:26 PM »
Nice job Dave, that's really cool!!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 10:33:49 PM »
Dave,

Now you are driving me to get a round tuit!  Great job on your tool, very nice.

Jim

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 01:59:39 AM »
You guys are going to hurt Chambers' sale of vent liners! Tough enough to stay in business now all ya gotta do is make a tool to save the money Jim charges for a liner!
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 02:57:51 AM »
Anybody notice the interesting cutter on the Williamsburg example?  The cutting flutes are cut in a unique manner.  Wonder why?  Maybe to keep it from grabbing and digging or to prevent chatter?  Any thoughts?

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 03:41:22 AM »
Don't worry about me.  A simple hole drilled in the side of a barrel and coned on the inside will soon erode if you do much shooting, and you'll need to either line the hole with gold or platinum or install a liner.  As the old saying goes, "You can pay me now or pay me later."

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 08:01:11 PM »
Sorta like selling cemetery plots eh Jim?  ;D ;D ;D ;D   ....... just bought a cremation plan.......... ;)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 08:02:32 PM by Dr. Tim-Boone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 11:13:53 PM »
The way the teeth are cut they work in a shearing motion, like scrapers working at an angle to the work. Much less likely to chatter.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 12:22:06 AM »
The way the teeth are cut they work in a shearing motion, like scrapers working at an angle to the work. Much less likely to chatter.
Kind of like the difference between a molar and an incisor.   ;D 
David 

Offline Telgan

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2014, 01:50:52 AM »
I'm only ordering one from Dave if he offers them with handles made from super premium curly maple.

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2014, 04:35:04 AM »
Very nice tool. My question is are there any original examples of this tool or is this just a modern conception of how we think they did it? I like Tom Snyders little tool that accomplishes the same thing but is a lot simpler to make.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

hammer

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2014, 11:05:40 AM »
David, yes I have seen pics of an original of similar construction, perhaps 15 years ago?   It was associated with an article that explained that, during the Napoleonic Wars when England was shipping muskets, etc., to anyone who would fight the French, the Prussians coned the touch holes of those Brown Besses and fitted pan shields.   Apparently to aid self-priming and so increase the firing rate.    I assume the shield was because the touch hole was also enlarged.   That was the only reference I have seen to such a practice.

I did cone the touch hole on my flint rifle some years ago.   And it did speed ignition.   Target shooting, however, puts a lot of wear on a coned hole and I eventually installed a White Lightning.    It would probably last a lot longer though with a gun used for occasional hunting.

Peter.

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2014, 03:15:43 PM »
Guys,

Here is a scan of a page from the Journal of Historical Armsmaking Technology showing a period drawing of the flash hole cone tool.  This one appears to have been held in a vise during use, just as the Colonial Williamsburg staff suggested.

Jim

« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 05:49:48 PM by James Wilson Everett »

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 07:37:04 PM »
Hey Jim what is the date for that period drawing?
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2014, 11:09:23 PM »
David,

Thanks for the question.  The text and illustration is from the JHAT Volume III, June 1984.  It contains a translation of the Handwerke und Kunste in Tabellen, dated 1771.

Jim