Author Topic: Gesswein ?????  (Read 9985 times)

billd

Gesswein ?????
« on: February 15, 2009, 02:07:53 AM »
To anyone who has done business with this company before......I placed my first  order from Gesswein's Monday, jewelers saw blades and a new jewelers saw.  It was shipped Tuesday and at my door Wednesday, excellent service.  Total for the items was $33.00, fair price. The shocker was they charged me $15.44 for shipping from Ct. to PA.!! The box weighed less than 2 lbs. It could have, should have, been put in a padded envelope.

No where on their site could I find shipping rates.  One drop down menu ask how you want it shipped. I requested US Mail and it said that was not available in my area. ??  When I printed the receipt there were no shipping charges on it. In today's mail was the invoice with the shipping charges.

Did I miss something on the web site or are their charges just this high? 

Bill

tuffy

Re: Gesswein ?????
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 02:36:47 AM »
Nope, you didn't miss a thing. Did the same thing to me. But you know the old saying, "Get me once". It'll never happen again. Companies like this are a scam. I agree that they have a lot of things that are hard to find, but I'll  just have to do without them unless they change their ways. >:(

Offline Z. Buck

• Fabricati Diem Pvnc
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 04:54:29 AM »
yeah i got a set of abrasive pencils, for lack of a better word, might weigh ten ounces all put together cost me 15 or so dollars to ship and im in northern PA so its not like cross country shipping overnight or something. the shipping was half as much as what i spent of the product, which i was not happy about, however if i got the same thing from elsewhere the money i save on shipping would have been spent on product... it would be nice if they would be more reasonable with shipping even if there product prices seem to be reasonable though... long story sort, i like their stuff, but i feel your pain when it comes to shipping
I Make Inflammatory Statements

Be Prepared

brokenflint

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 06:09:38 AM »
I also just sent in an order for some stones recommended for polishing,  $20.00 for stones $14.99 for shipping >:(    No more orders to them either. 

brokenflint

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 06:13:21 AM »
I've done business with a mail order / internet site in Cal which has alot of the items available from Gesswein.  a Jewelry supply house also.  I don't remember the actual shipping costs, I'll pull some invoices before I post a link.    Was a three or four day turn around as I recall. 

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 06:25:07 AM »
The (Jewelry) company I work for buys a lot of supplies from Gesswein, but usually orders large quantities, so the shipping cost is not too big a deal. They do have first rate stuff, but don't seem to care much about how they treat us average people.

Offline flehto

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 02:18:58 PM »
Perhaps buying  Gesswein products from a local mold makers supply company would reduce the OA cost? ......Fred

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 06:45:03 PM »
It's not just this company....it's widespread across the board. It's the shipping companies themselves IMO. High fuel prices, they say ???

Example: Couple of weeks ago I ordered a perticular kind of potato to plant for the local market from a potato farm in western Colorado. The potatos cost about $55.00. Shipping was $36.00 :o! At least the young lady with whom I talked at the farm forwarned me about this high shipping price which came to a few pennies more than $2.00 a pound!

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 07:41:28 PM »
Not defending companies that overcharge for shipping, but here we always cringe when someone calls and orders just one can of stain or finish.  The post office no longer accepts liquids which means we have to ship that one little can by UPS.  For a one pound package going across country the charge is near $6.  Plus, we have the cost of the box and the pay to our packer person. So, the cost of the finish is $8 and the shipping charge is nearly as much.   But, unlike some companies we always try to warn customers that the shipping charge on a small order like that could be as much as the order itself and is something beyond our control.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 07:48:22 PM »
Try ordering 100 lbs of investment plaster. The investment is $150.00 the shipping is $100.00 for a distance of 300 miles.   Chipout engraving ground, = $23.00 shipping is $36.00
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

George F.

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 08:21:03 PM »
Be thankful that there are companies that have these supplies, and companies that deliver them, or we'd have to go get them ourselves. When you look at it that way, the price for not living next to our suppliers is a bargin, my thoughts. ...Geo.

billd

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 08:27:02 PM »
I know shipping charges are going up, I hear it every day at our company meetings.  What really bothered me about this was there was no shipping charges quoted on there web site and when ask what method I wanted and chose US Mail it told me it wasn't available in my area.  This could have been put in a padded envelope and sent for $4.95. Add the price of an envelope, $.50 and throw in $2.00 handling charge and then tell your customers the price up front.

Like Jim Chambers said, we try to warn people about shipping charges.  Even if you don't warn people, at least tell them.

Ordering online also saves company's money. The distributor my company deals with gives a 5% discount if we order electronically. The compnay my wife works for takes reservations. They have it figured out that a online reservation takes 1 1/2 minutes to process. A phone reservation takes 5 1/2 minutes.  That's a heck of a savings to a business.

Again, no problems with their price or service, just don't induce sticker shock by not quoting shipping charges.

Bill

George F.

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 08:53:28 PM »
I feel we are all pretty resonable people. I had noticed that the point that I tried to conveign was not taken. We all understand that shipping rates that are omitted, is a serious mistake, especially for small packages, at least quote a minimum charge, or state all shipments are overnite express, or if alternate methods are available. I called my order in and I'm not sure if they quoted me a price on the purchase with shipping or not, but I didn't care, I needed it, end of story. Thanks for lending an ear in my direction.   ...Geo.

tuffy

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 09:24:00 PM »
I agree with Bill. I don't have a problem with their prices for product. I do feel that they need to post the S&H charges up front so I can be the one to decide if it's too high or not. If I don't like the the additional charges I can go somewhere else. At the end of it all, the decision should be mine.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2009, 11:30:07 PM »
I'm just glad I can get what I want. We need to ask ourselves how much it cost to go get them.
 I highly suspect that soon we will not be able to get a lot of stuff like we can now. I'm just glad I can get what I want. We need to sak ourselves how much it cost to go get them.
 I highly suspect that soon we will not be able to get a lot of stuff like we can now.
 I'm just glad I lived in America when I did.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2009, 11:43:10 PM »
I shipped a box 8 x 8 x 3 inches the other day, weighing a pound and a half. I would have taken it to the PO, but had another to ship UPS so decided to make one stop. Paid the bill for both, and was on my way. When I got home I noticed I'd been charged $12 for the little one. When I called, the local office supply/UPS drop shop said they'd just added a $5 per PACKAGE charge for their processing. That's not shipping costs, that's a local small business trying to make money in tough times. I told 'em the PO gets my business every time it's something I can ship that way.

BTW, heard the other day the the USPS is losing money. They'll be going up too, I guess.  :-\
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2009, 04:31:13 AM »
Yep, a first class stamp is going up two cents either in May or June according to our local paper.  Who knows what their other rates will be for packages.  We receive an update almost weekly from UPS for our daily pickup service.  But, as Jerry says, it's still a lot less paying the shipping than going somewhere to get the stiff unless it's next door.

billd

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 05:28:34 AM »
With email and online bill paying I'm suprised there's still mail for the mailman to deliver. Just like land telephone lines in houses, they're on the way out too.  But still, 45 cents to take a letter cross country is a good deal.  And they tell you upfront what it costs.

Bill
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 05:29:04 AM by billd »

brokenflint

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 05:13:24 AM »
Here's the link to the supply house I have purchased items from about 2 years ago.  http://www.progresstool.com/    I've not checked shipping lately but as i recall it was reasonable but then again my orders where for hammers  :D   Your mileage may vary.  Anyway this is another place to mark as a supplier.  Rio Grande is also another supplier.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 05:20:00 AM »
I try to lump as much stuff in one order to keep the shipping reasonable. Gesswein has good quality stuff, by and large, and tools unavailable elsewhere. Sadly, shipping is part of cost of living these days.

Buy the 'forever' postage stamps......they're good until, well, the postage goes up so high you have to get forever makeup stamps. ;D ;D ;D

Acer
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline jim meili

• Wisconsin Muzzle Loading Association
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2009, 07:34:15 PM »
Last week I needed to make a new front site for an original Remington model 58 revolver. The threads on that thing are 12x56 and this place had the die in stock.

www.toolsavings.com

Made overseas of course but did what it needed to do and was only $7.65 with $4.60 shipping. Friendly people on the phone and the delivery was to my house the day after I ordered it. Take a look at what they have to offer.
Jim

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 10:51:36 PM »
Just ordered 1000, 230 gr .45 bullets & 1000, 124 gr 9mm bullets - product cost = $225 -- shipping cost = $56 :o - use to pay $22 -- if you want to play  - you are going to pay ::), not fair - but :'( :'(
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Benedict

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2009, 10:54:39 PM »
Its still cheaper than driving there to get them.

Bruce