Author Topic: A Christmas gift!  (Read 10107 times)

Offline JTR

• member 2
A Christmas gift!
« on: November 03, 2014, 01:21:50 AM »
I'm posting this and the pictures for Louie Parker.
Enjoy.

This rifle started out to be a plain Hawken style . Made with all store bought parts and be a Christmas present for my grand daughter's husband.  I am not exactly sure how it happened but it got out of control.  Ended up with mostly hand made parts, silver inlay,silver barrel bands, rectangular box  and engraving..  Some of this can be attributed to a great S,Hawken that I worked on during the parts making phase.. It was a wonderful rifle.. Over 60 caliber, silver inlays, barrel bands, silver border around the barrel stamp,comb plate, patch box with a pig nose bear and on and on. All the silver, toe plate and rear ramrod pipe were copied from this gun. The patch box is after the Robert May J&S. But slightly larger.  Its 3/8 wider and 5/8 longer.. I made it what I thought it probably was. Then located the rifle, I was wrong.   The stock pattern is one I drew up a few years ago based on a J&S. Since these photos were taken the engraving has been added and its ready to add a bit of color..  The stock is slab sawed maple but seems to have a decent stripe. Not sure how I will finish it???The OAL is 65 in. BBL 38 inch, 1 1/8 at breech, 1 in. at muzzle, 54 cal.   length of pull 13 3/4.....

The intended recipient of this rifle don't visit this site, if you should know him, help me keep the secret,, Thanks Louie

« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 10:02:21 PM by JTR »
John Robbins

Offline smylee grouch

Re: A Christmas gift!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 01:30:49 AM »
Very nice Louie. I like every thin g and realy like that extra roomy trigger gaurd which you dont see on alot of Hawken style guns. Someone will be very happy.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 03:24:47 AM »
I need to marry into the family !  The cap box in the toe plate is a nice touch.   It will be nice to see it finished.   Jim
JIM

Offline Angus

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 03:56:57 AM »
Every young man has Christmas dreams of a new rifle under the tree, and this Hawken will definitely make the day if Santa doesn't snag it first.
Keep us posted on the finished result and the lucky recipient.

Offline FALout

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 04:20:40 AM »
That's a nice looking Hawken.  Show some pics when it's done.
Bob

kaintuck

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 02:48:01 PM »
Question,,,,,how did you get the circles cutie ton the end of your barrel?

Marc n tomtom

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 04:05:39 PM »
That is a beautiful gun, Louie.  Great lines and shaping.  I like it.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 08:03:18 PM »
Great Hawken rifle Louie!  That one would make Jake and Sam grin with appreciation.  I'd like to see a close up of the lock and snail.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline louieparker

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 08:30:57 PM »
Glad you fellows like the gun.  My daughter says about her son in law, " He is sure to pee his pants"
Kaintuck, The circles are cut with a very simple tool.  A bore size rod about three inches long is crossed drilled about 1/2 inch from the end . I used an eighth inch bit because the cutter was made from 1/8 steel rod. Bend  a 90 degree bend on the end and about 1/8 inch long to shape the cutter from, then center drill the bore size rod for a 1/4 to  5/16 tap... This is to adjust and clamp the cutter..Use a hex head bolt, then the cutter can be rotated with a ratchet..  No doubt other way to make this tool, but this works..  Louie

Offline louieparker

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 09:15:12 PM »
Taylor, I thought about you when I was working on the original silver trimmed gun. I have worked on other Hawkens with silver inlay. But this is the first with a silver comb plate and barrel bands. Would liked to have sent you photos. But it  not being mine I couldn't.. So I took no photos,,

On the lock, I engraved it like the J&S pair of pistols. At least as close as I was capable and rounded the plate and wood up to the barrel in front of the boaster similar to the pistol.  The snail is just the standard snail.. Nothing special.. I ask and was offered the loan of the May J&S. As I wanted to study the snail. It is probably one of the more complicated.  Then I decided not to get involved in that.. The breech and triggers are store bought...   Louie

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 11:42:53 PM »
Nice, that young man must be a fine upstanding gentleman, glad to see an heirloom in the making.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 03:43:52 AM »
Really nice rifle, Louie.  Nice crisp lines, tastefully done, very pleasing.  Make sure you post some photos when it's finished!

Ed
Ed Wenger

pushboater

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 06:18:46 PM »
Great looking Hawken! Good job.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 02:29:57 AM »
Looks great.  ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2014, 08:41:18 PM »
Louis:  that's awfully thoughty of you.  It seems I cannot get enough of good information on the original rifles, though I have accumulated a nice reference library over the year.  One of the most enjoyable parts of this recreating thing, is the research.  Applying it to a rifle is just an extension of that.  But the original documentation is sure fun.  I hope you'll post images of this fine piece when it has come to fruition.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2014, 10:11:16 PM »
Very elegant rifle!!  Can't wait to see it finished.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2014, 04:55:35 AM »
Like Tim said...  I can't wait to see it finished.

Looking forward to it.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2014, 04:48:04 AM »
Christmas is coming!!!!!!!!
JIM

Vhntr1

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2014, 02:56:57 PM »
That is a fantastic rifle he is one lucky boy. I have one of your rifles Louie that I picked up a couple years ago ,still in love with it and use it all the time.

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2014, 04:09:03 PM »
Truly a beautiful rifle! My most sincere compliments.
Will you blue or brown the barrel?
I really look forward to seeing the end result.
I would love to see the receiver's face when he first sees that work of art.
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline louieparker

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2014, 06:23:52 PM »
Old Ford2, Thanks .   Glad the rifle pleases you.. The rifle is now completed. I browned all the metal parts and rubbed some of them out to get a bit of contrast .  I know Hawken blued a lot his rifles, or maybe all of them.. But I like rust. So its browned..  I don't know when I will be able to get photos taken.  But when the weather gets better and my wife gets home I will get them taken. I will ask JTR to again assist me and post them here. I will also send to Art and Jan .

Vhntr1, I think we spoke awhile back about your rifle ??   Glad you still own it...Louie

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2014, 03:58:51 PM »
That is a fine looking piece of work Mr. Louie. I too will look forward to the finished photo's. I want to be.just like you when I grow up!

Jim ;D
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline louieparker

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2014, 08:38:11 PM »
Jim, Thanks!  That was funny ...