Author Topic: Browning touch up  (Read 2545 times)

GregD

Browning touch up
« on: February 24, 2016, 10:30:00 PM »
Can anyone recommend a cold brown solution to touch up scratches on lock? Thanks

Sharpsman

Re: Browning touch up
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 10:26:33 PM »
Contact Track of the Wolf!

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 10:41:32 PM »
If the original browning was done with a nitric acid type product I doubt one of the cold browning products will match (at least it hasn't for me). What I do where I need touch-up is to use a Q-tip to apply a little Laurel Mountain Forge Browning solution to the bare area. Usually after a couple of applications it takes care of the problem. Then I use a real fine piece of Scotchgard saturated with oil or Balistol to the blend in the area.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

GregD

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 11:59:20 PM »
Thanks. I just got a bottle of Birchwood Casey Plum Brown to try. Hopefully it will blend in. If it works on the scratches I am going to need it on my rear sight which somehow has been closing up since I turned 50. I am going to need to open that up a little.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 12:31:36 AM »
Plum brown is a hot brown. To get the metal hot enough, you'll probably damage the existing brown.  Most likely won't match, and do more damage than good.
Get some LMF, and touch it up.
In His grip,

Dane