Author Topic: Nice looking rifle on the Contempoary Makers Blog this morning  (Read 12843 times)

Offline Darrin McDonal

Re: Nice looking rifle on the Contempoary Makers Blog this morning
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2015, 11:25:24 PM »
Thank you very much  ;D I guess I will keep it up. Not that I can stop, I think I'm fully addicted. I know you know what I mean.
Darrin
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks

Online BOB HILL

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2015, 01:23:09 AM »
Nice gun,Darrin.I like the look you got.Hope you have many years of pleasure using it.        Bob       Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Ric27

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2015, 04:51:45 AM »
Darrin,

Really nice gun, well designed and that is more important to me that any level of detail. You architecture is strong everywhere except the rifle looks a little thick in the web between the barrel channel and the ramrod hole. Your carving is good, very good really and again mainly because your design was good in the first place. Looking at anything in harsh light under a macro lens is bound to show things that you would rather not see but who going to be looking that close. Not me. For me making rifles has always been about chasing the bad spots around from gun to gun. I'd say put about 10 more coats of oil and try to smooth out some of the texture on the finish and that gun would move from a 7 to a solid 8 in my book.

Ric    
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 04:56:52 AM by Ric27 »