Author Topic: Broken Screw  (Read 6710 times)

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
Broken Screw
« on: January 26, 2015, 08:00:47 PM »
As you can see I over did it when turning the swivel screw into the stock.
 I would like opinions on best way to remove the broken part that is in the stock with out messing up the wood if thats possible.

iloco

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Broken Screw
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 08:11:10 PM »
There are a number of things you can do, once you cool down. 
1)  Carefully centre punch the broken screw, and drill into it with a new/sharp 1/16" bit.  I assume the broken screw is about 3/4" long into the wood.  Go into the screw about 3/8".  Increase the size of the hole 1/32" at a time until you can get your smallest 'easy-out' started, and back out the broken screw.
or.....
2) Cut away the wood around the broken screw with a chisel until you can grip it with a pair of vise grip pliers, and turn the screw out.  Then plug the hole, and cover it with an inlay, and put your new swivel screw in a different place, or drill out and plug the hole with a 3/6" dia. plug, re-drill for the screw (a little bigger this time), coat the screw with bees wax or bar soap to lubricate it, and turn it into the new hole.  Cover the plug with a washer under the swivel screw, or a nice inlay.

No biggy.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 08:17:23 PM »
I've done that. I made a screw extractor and it worked, luckily. I took a piece of drill rod just bigger than the screw shank and cut the end sort of like the milling cutter on a tumbler mill with the radial teeth filed at an angle that would bite when turning left. With the stock clamped securely in the vice I clamped a pair of vice grips on the tool and applied strong down pressure while I turned the broken piece out. Mine was a butt plate screw so I wasn't quite as afraid of damage to surrounding wood. Once it started out I was able to grip it with the pliers and turn out.
Lesson learned, drill correct size pilot hole and lube screw threads.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 08:22:18 PM »
I would make a small hole saw from a piece of tubing just big enough to go around the screw.Use it to cut around the screw,break out the screw and plug hole with a wood plug.Install new screw.

Mitch Yates

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 08:27:52 PM by aka tallbear »

Birdhunter

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 08:22:44 PM »
iloco,
Woodcraft sells wood screw removal tools that are basically a small double ended hole saw that fits around the screw & drills out a plug with the broken screw in it . I have one & it works great. You can also make your own with a piece of tubing & file teeth on it. I believe it works with the drill in reverse. The Woodcraft ones drill for a standard sized dowel.
Curt

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 08:23:03 PM »
I don't know what your skill level is or what you have in the way of tools so I can only comment on how I would remove this. I would find, buy, make a small diameter hole saw and cut the broken shank out then plug it and install a new swivel. You can check on some of the wood working sites they do make such a item. You could go to the hobby store and buy a small diameter brass or steel tubing and file teeth on the end and using a drill cut the broken shank out or if you have a lathe make the hole saw and cut it out with that.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 08:24:12 PM »
OK so I'm a slow typer --  ;D
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 08:35:46 PM »
Been there done that. I did as Taylor stated but I first ground the end of the screw with a small dremil stone to flatten it some what and my small drill did not wander off to the side.  Worked great.

Offline al56

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 09:07:01 PM »
There are 2 ways that I have used.  The first is to buy a set of E Z Outs and follow the instructions.  The second is to go to your local industrial supply store and buy a left - handed drill bit that is about the minor diameter of the threads.  Run your drill backwards and slow.  That will catch the screw and remove it. 
Al

Offline KentSmith

• Augusta Gunworks
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 09:26:45 PM »
Like al56 said.  I have had the same problem with a buttplate extension screw.  Flattened the stub as much as possible, punched it and using a left handed  bit 5/64 I think it was running the drill in reverse I drilled down until eventually the bit catches enough meat to reverse the screw.

eddillon

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 11:53:23 PM »
Been there, done that.  I used a dental burr in my foredom tool.  Created a screw slot.  Screwed it out.  No mark on the wood.
 :)

ShutEyeHunter

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 06:54:33 AM »
I've broken off screws,and bolts,all manner of places. Left hand bits,work amazingly well.  Harbor freight has them if you don't mind no deposit no return drill bits

Offline iloco

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 03:57:47 PM »
There are a number of things you can do, once you cool down. 
1)  Carefully centre punch the broken screw, and drill into it with a new/sharp 1/16" bit.  I assume the broken screw is about 3/4" long into the wood.  Go into the screw about 3/8".  Increase the size of the hole 1/32" at a time until you can get your smallest 'easy-out' started, and back out the broken screw.
or.....
2) Cut away the wood around the broken screw with a chisel until you can grip it with a pair of vise grip pliers, and turn the screw out.  Then plug the hole, and cover it with an inlay, and put your new swivel screw in a different place, or drill out and plug the hole with a 3/6" dia. plug, re-drill for the screw (a little bigger this time), coat the screw with bees wax or bar soap to lubricate it, and turn it into the new hole.  Cover the plug with a washer under the swivel screw, or a nice inlay.

No biggy.

The Ez Out way is how I prefer.  I took my dremal tool and leveled the surface of the broken screw.
 I do not have the tools to do the rest but my son is a machinist at a local factory who will be bringing the correct bits and Ez out so we hope get the broken part out of the wood.
  Thanks to all for the good advice you gave me. 
iloco

CARROLLCO

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 09:28:51 AM »
I do like tallbear does. I used old Easton aluminum arrows (because that's what I had) cut with a tubing cutter and teeth filed on one end. It makes a decent plug cutter. Steel tubing may be better but the aluminum worked fine.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 04:24:37 PM »
There is a tool bit made with this problem in mind that works well.  It is a sort of combination tool with a center bit on on end and a left hand drill /screw on the other.  I got one at home depot not too long ago and it worked for me.  Lube the screw with beeswax and it will turn in much easier - assuming you have the correct pilot hole and it is deep enough.  Before screwing into a stock I use a test hole in piece of same or similar wood to see if the pilot hole is correct.  Some very hard wood just needs a little more clearance than the standard pilot hole charts.   

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 02:15:44 AM »
 This come probably too late but never the less the screw does not look hard so first center punch it well. Then get a left hand drill bit I bit smaller then the minor diameter of the screw. Then take an electric soldering iron stick it down into the hole and heat the screw until the wood begins to smoke a little bit. Stop before the wood burns. what this does is shrink the wood around the screw. Then a left hand tap or a easy out should screw it out with ease.  No Charge. This trick has never failed for me.  
 PS. Normally when something like this happens to me I won't do anything for a day or so but think about it. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 02:20:59 AM by jerrywh »
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 03:23:59 AM »
... Then get a left hand drill bit I bit smaller then the minor diameter of the screw...

Once you try LHDB removal of a broken threaded fastener (in any material) you'll __understand__ the beautiful simplicity and efficacy of such.  Best of luck.  ;)
Hold to the Wind

Offline iloco

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2015, 06:56:26 PM »
Sucess in removing the broken screw without messing up any wood.
 Started with small bit and then a larger one. Used an Easy Out to extract the screw.
 Will use beeswax on the next go at installing the swivel screw.  Thanks to all for your information.
iloco