Author Topic: Does anyone make squirrel rifles?  (Read 3699 times)

Offline Gun_Nut_73

Does anyone make squirrel rifles?
« on: February 01, 2015, 06:20:19 AM »
I have fired a number of different black powder arms over the years, but for the pure fun of it, i have not found anything to beat the .30 and .31 squirrel rifles.  My current one is a .31, and as I posted in another thread, I have to find a new lock for it.

I have checked the usual suppliers, like Dixie and TotW, but they have nothing smaller than .32 cal.

If I wanted to build my own rifle, what would be most correct in terms of style, lock, patchbox, trigger, etc?  I know there are several makers on this board that do phenomenal work, but they, and the examples of longrifles in most of the books are of such craftsmanship and beauty that I would be afraid to shoot one.

In my ignorance, I am thinking of a simple "poor boy" style, .30 or .31 cal., with iron hardware, and a banana patch box.  Would this be historically correct?  I have toyed around with the idea of making the rifle convertible, with a touch hole liner for flint and a drum and nipple with the same threads as the touch hole liner for percussion.  Would such a rifle have a single or a double set trigger?  The one extravagance would be inletting a small silver disk in the wrist with the Square an Compasses.

Is this feasible, or is it all a pipe dream?  If I have made any errors, please correct me, and could you please give me a general idea of how much such a rifle might cost?  I know price depends on details, but I am thinking of something that I can enjoy shooting as much as looking at.

Offline JTR

• member 2
Re: Does anyone make squirrel rifles?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 07:20:04 AM »
Please check your PM for some info.
John
John Robbins

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 08:25:03 AM »
Covering a lot of ground in your post, so I'll sum it up by.  

Yup.  Most everybody makes a squirrel rifle.  I looked at a Mike Brooks today (on his site).  It has a 25 cal bbl.  Rayl makes 25 and 30 caliber bbls.  I have a Burton .30 "in process".

A banana box plus iron mounts, and: a long bbl (swamped), crescent butt, double triggers, English lock, long tang, done up skinny with lots of drop is what I'd call a Tennessee (East Tennessee).  That's what I've studied most, and have more to learn.  

The thumb/wear patch is no big deal, but more common in other schools.  I wouldn't hesitate, but a cheekpiece inlay would be more TN correct from what i've seen.  See "Miss Penny" at Ken's site: http://tnhogrifle.com/

I'm pretty sure you'll want to commit to an ignition system.  Or maybe it'd be feasible if you buy the flint and percussion versions of the same lock.

If your want to build, buying up parts from various sources will run you about 700 with a swamped bbl and higher-grade wood.  Kits generally come with a straight bbl and sometimes the wrong lock and better wood is an upgrade.

Or if you'd like to buy one, just say it.  Some of the fine folks here will help you find a maker or sell you a gun of theirs. Post a want ad on the classifieds.

Search "squirrel rifle" and you'll get to see a bunch of them.  We've had a few "show us" threads.  You'll get more ideas what you like or don't.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 08:29:42 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 08:44:47 AM »
I have one in progress now, really just getting started. You can check it out on my web site. Go to www.calvarylongrifles.com and look under current projects. If you like it give me a call. ;D
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 06:22:41 PM »
You will find that all builders will make a squirrel rifle. and like you said budget will mean everything. look up some builders web sites,ask them for pictures of Southern Mtn rifles. give them an idea of what you want....as in Iron mounts,brass mounts,inlays etc.etc. they can then give you a price.

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 06:25:15 PM »
Gun_Nut_73: Good morning Sir. My small caliber rodent rifle is a .32 made by Jerry Eitnier "Iron Mounted Southern Guns". Contact at Jerry Eitnier, Hillsboro In. 47949 Phone, 465 798 3525. Forged his own iron hardware. Excellent workmanship. Shoots really-really well. Have a great Sunday. AJ.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 06:27:14 PM by alyce-james »
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 06:39:33 PM »
A few popular discussions we've had:

Topic: Let's see your squirrel rifle!!!  (Read 12215 times)
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=9725.0

Topic: Lancaster Squirrel Rifle (J.Hagy/Hagee)  (Read 3285 times)
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=25462.0

Topic: Good Squirrel Calibers  (Read 7019 times)
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=1640.0

Topic: Flints or Caps for squirrel rifle????  (Read 5773 times)
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=11087.0
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 06:43:14 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind