Author Topic: Needle Files  (Read 7595 times)

Offline shifty

Needle Files
« on: February 05, 2015, 03:24:43 PM »

I need a new set ,always just used the ones from lowes or where ever but was wandering what brand most of you use .I  was thinking about the Grobet brand I have some other Grobet files and like them ,mine have been long lasting.On the Grobet webb site they have some sets in the $30.00 range.

blackbruin

Re: Needle Files
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 03:37:32 PM »
Buy quality, you get the same in return, good stuff those grobets.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 05:02:24 PM »
 I need a new set ,always just used the ones from lowes or where ever but was wandering what brand most of you use .I  was thinking about the Grobet brand I have some other Grobet files and like them ,mine have been long lasting.On the Grobet webb site they have some sets in the $30.00 range.

I have gotten good service out of the cheap mini-files sets that Lowe's normally has for sale, around $5 or $6 for the set. The are fairly aggressive so not for finish work, but they are good for cleaning up cast brass hardware.
Just found the set I bought
Project Source 6-Piece Needle File Set
Item #: 159850 |  Model #: 63235

3.9 / 5
7 reviews
|
Write a review

$3.98
price was less than I thought. They won't replace a good set but well worth the price just to use for coarse work.

If you want better quality the Grobet sets are great but much more expensive. I have found great prices on brand new Grobet files on ebay. Just need to keep an eye since prices vary greatly depending on who is selling them. I bought a couple of small knife files and I love them.

Dennis
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 05:06:45 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 06:06:05 PM »
 I need a new set ,always just used the ones from lowes or where ever but was wandering what brand most of you use .I  was thinking about the Grobet brand I have some other Grobet files and like them ,mine have been long lasting.On the Grobet webb site they have some sets in the $30.00 range.

I have gotten good service out of the cheap mini-files sets that Lowe's normally has for sale, around $5 or $6 for the set. The are fairly aggressive so not for finish work, but they are good for cleaning up cast brass hardware.
Just found the set I bought
Project Source 6-Piece Needle File Set
Item #: 159850 |  Model #: 63235

3.9 / 5
7 reviews
|
Write a review

$3.98
price was less than I thought. They won't replace a good set but well worth the price just to use for coarse work.

If you want better quality the Grobet sets are great but much more expensive. I have found great prices on brand new Grobet files on ebay. Just need to keep an eye since prices vary greatly depending on who is selling them. I bought a couple of small knife files and I love them.

Dennis

I have a number of needle files,some from long discontinued companies like Stubbs
 in England.The German Pferd brand is good and I have several sets that were gifts
 from German customers and they are quite good.I have a set of real miniatures that
were made in China and they are really good and very useful.The vaiety seems endless
 and I have a few that are #8 cut and these will polish a surface if a drop of Tapmatic
 fluid is used with them.

Bob Roller

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 06:42:48 PM »
I recently, on a whim, bought a set of China made needle files from Track.  They are sharp.  They are also too hard, the break in half in use. 

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 08:19:05 PM »
Needle files (or any file for that matter) needs to be glass hard, and because needle files are so thin/narrow, they are fragile.  You cannot flex them much without them breaking - I've been there too.  But it is not the fault of the file; it is operator error.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 08:32:47 PM »
I have a bin full of broken needle files, they get to be gravers/chisels next....Tom

armsmaker

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 08:43:49 PM »
When I owned Muzzleloader Builders Supply, I was selling both the cheap rifflers and the Swiss made Grobet 7 inch files. Both have there uses. The cheap made files are almost always short handled and rougher in the cut. The Swiss made Grobets has a superb variety in cut and shapes to choose from. I personally like the long handle for holding and the ability to reach into nooks and crannies for a superior finish. Remember this above all: every file has a peak and valley based on its cut. You have to recover (finish) all the way down to the valley. If you don't, you are left with a cut sometimes not seen until you apply stain. So the choice is always based on what you have to finish to and how much wood needs removed. The higher the number on the file is the fineness of its cut. The Swiss Grobet is the most expensive, but in their defense, I still have all my originals which some are over 20  years old. Usually my sin is to drop one and break a tip. Nevr put a needle file in a bind. Shop for sets that have the round, three sided, flat and half rounds in mostly tapered shapes included. When you break a file, don't through it away. Belt sand and water dip to keep cool and shape into a new tool like for wire inlay or a small chisel.
Susie W-B

Offline Wolfeknives

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 09:29:49 PM »
I use my needle files for 12 hours every day. Over the past 35 years i have had a chance to try them all. Cheap files tend to provide a rather coarse cut. They also tend be a little misshapen. The ones I am most happy with are Valorpe, Pferd, F.Dick and Grobet. I pick them up whenever I find a decent deal. Others I buy in quantity when I can find them if it is a rare shape. I now have about 400 files in reserve, enough to last for the rest of my career. Good quality files are well worth the investment. They are a pleasure to use. Poor quality files can make a difficult job extremely frustrating.
The photo shows the files I have in every day use. I know it is not good practice to pile them together, but when I am working I can not keep them separated on the work bench, so storing them in piles will not increase the damage.

Wolfgang

« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 09:32:31 PM by Wolfeknives »

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 02:06:22 AM »
Grobet can't be beat in my estimation, but a set of Grobet needle files will set you back over $100.   I have found that Brownells offers a very good set of Chinese made needle files for about half that price.   Given that I have at least two sets of everything(one for ferrous and one for non-ferrous metals) the Brownells files are a better value for me.  I buy #2 needle files and use them for finish work.   I also have a set of EZLAP 600grit diamond needle files for use on hardened parts.  I do use Grobet Habalis files (a set of 5) in #1 cut for most of my finish shaping work.  I use Nicholson bastard files for serious metal removal and then transition to the Habalis and needle files to finish up.   For getting in those hard to reach spots,  I am now using little 1/8" square stones from Congress Tools.   I really like the YL-Oil stones.   They quickly conform to odd shapes.   

Offline shifty

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 06:47:41 PM »
   Thanks Dennis, I picked up a set of those Project Source mini files from Lowes for under $4.00 and they are just what i was looking for kinda like a 2nd cut , they are doing fine on some sights i have been making,steel blade with Bone insert front sight Full Buck Horn rear.

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 02:13:24 AM »
Bob,
May I ask who is your source of #8 cut needle files? What about #8 rifflers? I normally order from Gesswein and Shor. On an other note, Gesswein gave me one of their ceramic super stones. It was a 400 grit .5x4x100 mm.
It is amazing,very stiff, holds it's shape for a long time and can be shaped into a small fine point to finish those very tight areas were a normal resin stone just can't cut it (no pun intended). Available in a broad range of grits and sizes.
Regards Richard

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 03:07:06 AM »
I don't remember where the #8 files came from.Maybe a flea market because I am always looking for odd files or at least I used to.

Bob Roller

Offline shifty

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 03:57:43 AM »
Flatsguide ,RioGrande has a few German cut #8 files.

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2015, 04:35:29 AM »
Thanks Shifty, I'll check them out.
Regards, Richard