Author Topic: Source for Odd Cal. Indicator Rods  (Read 4059 times)

Offline Sidelock

• J.R. Dixon
Source for Odd Cal. Indicator Rods
« on: February 09, 2015, 04:48:53 AM »
Does anyone here have a source for metal lathe indicator rods in some of the odd muzzleloader calibers (i.e. .32, .36, .54 ect.)?  I really would like to not have to turn my own if possible, got enough to do.  Any help here would be greatly appreciated - thanks. 
If you cannot see the irony in having a gun ban enforced by men with guns, then you fail to understand why the 2nd Amendment was written in the first place....

Offline okieboy

Re: Source for Odd Cal. Indicator Rods
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 07:18:31 AM »
 If you mean pins to put into a bore to use to indicate it in, then probably the best thing would be to buy the cheapest pin gage set that MSC offers, which will cover you to .500". Above that size, you might just want to buy individual pins of specific sizes.
Okieboy

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 03:01:39 PM »
It doesn't have to be the cheapest set either.  That's the way i'd go.  Or buddy up to a machinist who already has a pin-gauge set.

I find it interesting to pin the "standard" bores too.  Everything has tolerances-even pin gauges.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 03:02:06 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 03:20:30 PM »
It doesn't have to be the cheapest set either.  That's the way i'd go.  Or buddy up to a machinist who already has a pin-gauge set.

I find it interesting to pin the "standard" bores too.  Everything has tolerances-even pin gauges.

Small hole gages both types or telescoping (snap gauges) have
always worked for me.Pin gauges are another thing and the chances
of having any that are even close isn't good.

Bob Roller

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 05:27:21 PM »
I prefer the pin gages myself, because the rifling can be odd numbers, so you can't measure across the bore.

If you got the set that goes from .251 to .5, you'd cover most of your needs. Each pin is about 2" long, hardened and ground to specific diameter tolerances. My particular set goes from .251 by .001 up to .500. That's 249 individual pins, and each one is etched with its size on the body.

One must be very attentive to return the pins to the case, in in the right location.

Pins are useful for lathe or mill boring work. An example is the tumbler hole on a lock plate. Mike the tumbler shaft, then set up to bore that hole size in the plate. As you start boring out, you can check your progress with undersized pins. Since you know what your target size is, it's quite easy to incrementally open a hole up with confidence.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 10:06:40 PM »
I prefer the pin gages myself, because the rifling can be odd numbers, so you can't measure across the bore.

If you got the set that goes from .251 to .5, you'd cover most of your needs. Each pin is about 2" long, hardened and ground to specific diameter tolerances. My particular set goes from .251 by .001 up to .500. That's 249 individual pins, and each one is etched with its size on the body.

One must be very attentive to return the pins to the case, in in the right location.

Pins are useful for lathe or mill boring work. An example is the tumbler hole on a lock plate. Mike the tumbler shaft, then set up to bore that hole size in the plate. As you start boring out, you can check your progress with undersized pins. Since you know what your target size is, it's quite easy to incrementally open a hole up with confidence.

Small hole gauges are adjustable and WILL measure land diameter.
Telescoping gauges are good for bores bigger than .50.I have both types
and use them when needed.
Look in an industrial supply catalog or te Starret Tools catalog.
Most of my precision tools are older Starret.Adjustable paralells are
useful also but for different applications.

Bob Roller

Offline okieboy

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 11:39:22 PM »
 Hole gages are fine for measuring diameter, but a close fitting pin can be placed in a bore and then swept in with a test indicator, which is what I understood to be what Sidelock was wanting to do.
 Of course, in light of the FACT that one can never have too many tools, it would be nice to have both!
Okieboy

kaintuck

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 11:59:35 PM »
 ;D
CERROSAFE
$24.00 and will last forever................ ::)

marc n tomtom

Steve-In

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 03:42:43 AM »
If you have a letter and fractional drill set you should be able to get close by using the shanks.  Look on eBay for used gage pin sets, sometimes you can get some good deals.

Offline Sidelock

• J.R. Dixon
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 04:38:53 AM »
Some good ideas here guys, thanks so much.  I have a few old, never used Douglas barrels that need some work before they go into rifles.  I didn't want to spend a pile on tooling toys to refurbish a few $100 barrels, so some of the ideas here are just what I need - thanks again. 
If you cannot see the irony in having a gun ban enforced by men with guns, then you fail to understand why the 2nd Amendment was written in the first place....