Author Topic: SxS project  (Read 13902 times)

Offline Metalshaper

Re: SxS project
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2015, 06:32:27 AM »
BTW, I had done a tutorial on breaching barrels for a SXS flint but have no idea what ever happened to it.
Cody,

let me look around in my old files.. I just may have a copy of your tutorial? 
No promises, cuz we have had a crash n burn, since the last time I saw it..
but I'll look.

Respect Always
Metalshaper/ Jonathan
aka, Dagwood

Offline Captchee

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2015, 04:57:50 PM »
 I think Cody , having  to have that long throw on the frizzen would depend on the type of step one put on the breech plugs . It also should be noted that for the stepped breech takes a different pan and  the frizzen is also different in that the lid  is stretched inward .
 There are exceptions.  IE some of those made by Charles Moore had a pan that  was attached to the breech , not the lock . Thus it stretched out away from the step  to accommodate the  lid . I want to say though , that those also had the long throw frizzen as Moore used very much  the breech design of Manton
 Most of the Manton’s I have see , are that way  in that they have the longer throw for the frizzen. However I have seen at lest 1 Bowler and more then a few Williams that were not .  In the case of those pieces what was done is  the step  breech , was not square  in is cut . Instead it was relieved  to allow for the pivot of the frizzen .. However the pan and lid are still different .  I also seem to recall that the  rear  half of the breech was longer so as to accommodate the movement of the frizzen . Thus keeping the removal of the material all on the plug and not on the barrel

Offline Cody Tetachuk

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2015, 07:01:40 PM »
All very good points Captchee. I always liked that Moore with the detached pan and had considered making one like that some day. It would be rather easy to do, the only challenge is that the locks would have to be positioned and inlet PERFECTLY to ensure a proper pan/cover fit. As you stated, there were a few (very few) recessed breeches with rifle style locks, I only recall seeing one and it may be the Bowler that you mentioned (rings a bell) and it was a very low end gun and, yes, they require a longer breech to allow the relief required to be fully in the breech and not in the barrel. Every other SXS I've seen with rifle style locks had tapered breeches. To my way of thinking if you are going to go to the effort to build a SXS flint, you may as well make it as high end (in function) as you can. Locks as described for stepped breeches are available as castings from places like Dyson, Blackley and TRS and building those up into finished locks adds to the fun of building a sxs IMO.

Offline Cody Tetachuk

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2015, 07:06:02 PM »
Beautiful locks. Can I buy a couple?
You certainly can. I got these from Peter Dyson. At the time, he only sold the plate, frizzen and hammer as rough castings, everything else you have to make (the frizzen springs were fun). The hammers on mine are not the ones that came with these plates. I didn't care for the hammer style so purchased the hammers from a different set of locks that were more pleasing to me.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2015, 07:17:37 PM »
Beautiful job on those locks Cody!!!! I especially like the composition and execution of the engraving, it has kind of a Mortimer look, elegant!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Cody Tetachuk

« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2015, 08:00:02 PM »
Beautiful job on those locks Cody!!!! I especially like the composition and execution of the engraving, it has kind of a Mortimer look, elegant!
Robby

Thanks.  I think I replicated the original engraving on these locks as it was still visible in the castings. I just redid it more or less the same after filing it all off cleaning up the plates.......IIRC  ;D

Offline Cody Tetachuk

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2015, 08:01:43 PM »
Good to have you posting again Cody.

You know I can't pass up a discussion about sxs flints  ;D. Absolutely LOVE them.

Offline Longknife

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2015, 08:37:11 PM »
Cody, thanks for the info. I will look in to parts from Dyson.  I also looked for your breeching tutorial but couldn't find it, If anyone else wants excellent info on building a SXS I would suggest buying this book....Ed

http://www.shumwaypublisher.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=26
Ed Hamberg

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2015, 11:22:41 PM »
Cody,

Check your email!!! I had the three sections on a flash drive.. Hope they open for you!!

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan
aka Dagwood

Offline Cody Tetachuk

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2015, 02:09:35 AM »
Yes, I got them and they open fine. Thank you very much. Not being one to document things or write anything down, it was quite an endeavour to put that together and I thought it was lost. I have plans to do a couple more sxs's and it's been so long I will have to refer to my own tutorial to remember the detail of how I did it. Thanks again. MUCH appreciated.