Author Topic: Twist Round-ball Hunting Rifle?  (Read 5704 times)

greenchile

Twist Round-ball Hunting Rifle?
« on: February 13, 2015, 02:51:33 PM »
What do you believe is the best twist rate for a 54 cal rifle (round-ball) intended for hunting? Why?

Thanks Greenchile

Online Bob Roller

Re: Twist Round-ball Hunting Rifle?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 04:08:38 PM »
What do you believe is the best twist rate for a 54 cal rifle (round-ball) intended for hunting? Why?

Thanks Greenchile

I built a "Hawken"in 1967 from a Bill Large 54 caliber barrel with a 1:57 twist.
The load was a patched round ball over 120 grains of DuPont 3fg.I have no
idea as to velocity but a single shot at about 50 yards cut a three inch sapling
down.For hunting a hard hitting load is mandatory for a clean one shot kill.
Tests have shown that a 54 caliber round ball drops about 14"at 130 yards
using this load and velocity loss is substantial as well. The round 54 caliber
projectile is only 230 grains in weight,just the same as a 45ACP and slightly less
than a 44 Special. I have for years preferred the 54 for any round ball use and
the available hollow base moulds make it a bit more versatile like the 58 caliber
military loads used.

Bob Roller

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 05:20:24 PM »
You will get lots of divergent opinions on this.  You will have to choose which to embrace and which to leave where you found them.

My hunting rifle is 54 caliber with a 47 inch barrel, 1 in 72" twist, radius groove rifling, made by John Getz.  I shoot a .520" diameter ball in a .024" denim patch lubed with bear grease/bees wax mix over 85 grains of GOEX FFFg black powder.  The rifle shoots a 1.5 inch group at 75 yards anytime I'm doing good.  Inside of 50 yards it knocks whitetails over.  I use a front shoulder point of aim.

Its all the rifle I need!

Now you will get other opinions.

Best Regards,

John Cholin

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 07:19:21 PM »

Thanks Greenchile

You will get lots of divergent opinions on this.  You will have to choose which to embrace and which to leave where you found them...
That's great John! A most excellent approach to any collection of wisdom.  

also, there are no absolutes.

my fancy:

The gun bbl makers sorted this out long ago.  I have had excellent results, targets and large bucks, with the "standard" rate that Mr. Colerain puts in those of 54 caliber.  Honestly I'd have to go look it up. It's nice to be able to let someone else handle a detail or two.  That's one i've "let go of" - even though you can order any rate you heart desires.  :P

I used to freak over twists and velocities, but have learned that here in BP land, that round balls and velocities cover such a small range-that it's not worth the hassle of fretting over.

42", .530 my cast, .021 denim/NFO (tallow field reloads), 80FF groups fine and kills bucks from 21 to 100 yards-probably over a range of twists i'm sure.  

Develop that load* for maximum accuracy and let the bucks fall where they may, let the bbl makers do the math.  ;)

*load for every single gun must be developed and then re-established if any component is changed.  Then checked at hunting ranges, hunting conditions, check trajectories by shooting-not calculating.  The above load will shoot all day, without wiping when lubed with spit (or any water-based lube i'm sure) in the bbl on that gun, it may not shoot in an "identical" bbl-but then it may.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 07:38:22 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 07:42:59 PM »
I have a 44 inch .54 rifle and shoot it with almost the same load as john. 85 Grns of fffg gets her done every time!!  I am not man enough to shoot 120 grains of fffg!!  ;D ;D ;D  its 1:72   for round ball.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

greenchile

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 08:10:51 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback i figure there would be many ideas on what was best and why... have also toyed with the idea smooth bore but don't have any idea?? Anybody? Accuracy?

Greenchile

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 08:50:02 PM »
I have been able to get good results in .54 with 48, 60, 66, and 72 rates.  Each had it's own preference and usually between 75 & 100 grains of ff or fff.
Mike Lee

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 09:14:05 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback i figure there would be many ideas on what was best and why... have also toyed with the idea smooth bore but don't have any idea?? Anybody? Accuracy?

Greenchile

All these questions and many more have been "asked and answered" multiple times.  Here is a site-specific search run on bing specifying this site and term "smoothbore accuracy":  (32 results)

http://www.bing.com/search?q=site%3Aamericanlongrifles.org+%22smoothbore+accuracy%22&pc=MOZI&form=MOZTSB

Searching previous threads would be easier if folks would put some thought into their titles and then "titles only" searches would be more satisfying.  That's my other main "trick" for digging up relevant information.  Especially with site internal search facilities.  Also the archived section of ALR (2008 and before) is full of good info, but is only searchable internally.  

Enjoy the reading and welcome to ALR.

also, the second topic in that bing result has four pages (per my settings) and started in 2008:  Topic: 54 cal smoothbore accuracy/whats the best they can do  (Read 10607 times)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 09:21:50 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 03:39:55 AM »
Didn't he ask about rifles?
Mike Lee

greenchile

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 04:37:27 AM »
Yes I asked about rifle but I got off track.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 04:43:52 AM »

Thanks Greenchile

48 to 66 would be fine 70-72 OK too. Its not that important. I would go with something on the faster end of the scale if I had a choice.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2015, 04:44:14 AM »
Just off the top of my head, I'd say go with a slow twist ( 1-72) so you can use a strong charge for higher velocity. Velocity with accuracy is what you want for hunting.

For plinking and all day at the range style shooting, use a faster twist so you use less powder and don't beat your shoulder up too much.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

greenchile

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2015, 07:00:14 PM »
Looks like 1:72 wins so far but anything between 1:48 to 1:72 has been used.

Greenchile