Author Topic: Need help fixing a small stock crack...  (Read 6323 times)

TimberGhost

Need help fixing a small stock crack...
« on: March 07, 2015, 08:06:34 AM »
I was planning on finishing my first build from the stick this weekend but then this happened.  I thought about drilling a hole through both pieces, inserting a threaded rod and epoxying together.  Considering how my weekend is starting out though, I figured I should ask those more wiser (and probably more careful) than myself. Help??

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Re: Need help fixing a small stock crack...
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 08:58:23 AM »
I think you could repair this so that the repair is hardly visible, but you would have to be able to force the parts back together very tightly.   I wouldn't do this with old work, but since this is new work; I would epoxy and screw the parts back together.  

The epoxy part is easy.  The screw part is harder.    First I would locate a place near the barrel tang from which you could drill a hole roughly through the center of both part.    This location should be some place that would be appropriate for a thumb piece.    A compromise position will probably be necessary.   Then you have to carefully drill the hole while somehow keeping  the pieces together and properly aligned.   Painters tape might help, but it will still be tricky.   Of course, since it hasn't been finished, you can do some additional wood removal if the two parts aren't perfectly aligned.   It is just more important that the joint be as tight and thin as possible.    

Once you have a clear drill hole and pilot hole (in butt piece) drilled,  it is time to glue it together.   I would use an epoxy with a 10-15 minute set time.   I use T-88 epoxy for such repairs.   It has a long open time and is extremely strong.   They glue boats together with the stuff.  Once the glue is applied and the parts are together, now is the time to install the screw.   If you have done the drilling right,  the two parts should pull up tight with the joint hardly visible. Then you just have to let it dry overnight.

You could plug the top of the screw hole, or not; and then install an inlay over it.  

This suggestion is based on work I have seen on old guns and work I have done myself.   Perhaps someone else will have some suggestions as to how to increase the probability of a good glue job.

If you don't need to remove any wood,  you can remove the excess epoxy with acetone.   Apply it with cotton swabs in order to just remove the excess glue without getting down into the wood and causing the glue joint to fail.   
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 09:04:24 AM by Mark Elliott »

Offline BJH

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 03:24:42 PM »
Your busted in one bad spot to clamp. You need to do some hillbilly engineering and carpentry to build a clamping jig first. I envision a piece of 2by8 for the base of the jig. Plus blocks in strategic places for support wedges for alignment and some clamp screws. The stock must be able to be solidly clamped into alignment jig dry first. Now glue up with your choice of glue and clamp it into your now ready built jig. After the glue is fully set up you definitely need to drill and glue in a dowel to reinforce that grip or it will break again. Go from the but piece or the tang area through as much of your pistol but as possible. A piece of hickory ram rod is ideal. BJH
BJH

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 03:44:08 PM »
Oooh, You're gonna have to be creative for sure. I think a through bolt or screw would pull it together tighter, but you could use a wooden spline under the trigger guard tang, too. Thickened epoxy wouldn't require as much pressure as glue and would fill any gaps. How did that happen?
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline BJH

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 04:05:08 PM »
The main problem was a quarter sawn stock blank, that grip didn't have a prayer. A flat sawed or board sawn blank. Is a better choice for pistols I really prefer taking a pair of pistol blanks from around a knot to take advantage of grain flow.BJH
BJH

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 04:40:21 PM »
I would use the method laid out by M. Elliott.

Offline J Henry

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 04:50:27 PM »
  I would take the brass fixture off the butt of the pistol and go up through there to repair it.  Then when you put the brass back on it would cover up the repair. First glue the two parts back together then drill and dowel the stock to ensure it has the strenght to hold. !! Sand the crack till it is blended back in and your good to go.

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 09:33:52 PM »
I'm really glad it was only a "small stock crack"
Marks advice on glueing and  prepping is exactly what I would do but I would use J Henerys'  approach and drill from the butt cap up. It looks like a straighter line.
Very difficult to clamp and drill so take your time with your layout.

Good luck.
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 09:51:33 PM »
Sorry to hear about your break Timberghost, that's no fun, but it is definitely repairable. 

With the grain as wavy as it is, it shouldn't be difficult to realign the two pieces perfectly.  An oval wrist inlay in the grip would suit perfectly for hiding a drill hole and a clamping ledge.  I would chisel out a small ledge in top part of the grip, then drill down through and install the dowel as suggested.  Use an undersized dowel in the hole, one that would otherwise rattle around - this gives you some leeway for fitting the two pieces back together.  Do NOT use cheap hardware store epoxy that comes in the equal-part syringes.  These are fine for household jobs, but are not as high quality or as hard as marine-grade epoxy (order a small batch of West System online).  Titebond 3 wood glue is a good alternative to epoxy.  Cut your dowel to be slightly below the surface of your ledge you carved out.  Fill your drilled hole with some glue as well, then insert the undersized dowel, and now you can use that same ledge as a spot to place your clamp.  If you align things right, the clamp should sit between the buttcap and the ledge and pull everything in line without it sliding.  After it's assembled and fixed, glue in a small chunk of wood to fill the ledge and install a silver or brass oval inlay over it - if all goes according to plan you'll never know there was a hole underneath it and your crack will be invisible. 

Alternatively, If through your ledge doesn't seem feasible, you can chisel out a deep 1/4" wide channel underneath the triggerguard and place a piece of straight grain maple inside that, to be covered by the brass.  I would still cut a ledge for your clamp to sit on and hide it with an inlay. 

Good luck - in the future, as BJH suggested, avoid wood where grain runs out the grip - it's worth spending the extra money on a blank that has grain that curves with the shape of the pistol.  I'm restoring a 1770s pistol right now with the same exact break... unfortunately the bottom half is missing. 
-Eric

Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 10:20:45 PM »
Here's an example of an original English pistol with the same fix and a large inlay to hide it.  I'm not suggesting an inlay quite this big, but there is historical precedence for such things. 

-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 12:55:28 AM »
Oooh, You're gonna have to be creative for sure. I think a through bolt or screw would pull it together tighter, but you could use a wooden spline under the trigger guard tang, too. Thickened epoxy wouldn't require as much pressure as glue and would fill any gaps. How did that happen?

You don't want to fill gaps with glue.   It will just show more.  The goal is as thin a glue line as possible.   The thinner the glue line,  the stronger the joint and less visible.   

TimberGhost

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2015, 09:31:59 AM »
I REALLY appreciate the suggestions. I think I needed the emotional support almost as badly though! One of those "do I laugh or cry" moments. I originally had it in the vise to fill in a tiny barrel inletting gap that was bugging me.  I thought I had the vise tightened sufficiently but discovered otherwise when I bumped it as I reached over my bench.  The visual image of it falling and the snapping sound it made as it hit the floor was repeated over and over in several recurring nightmares last night.  That stock blank was so pretty and I was so excited to get a pistol out of it that I didn't even think about it being quarter-sawn.  Rookie mistake.

I managed to locate some T-88 epoxy at a local woodworking store (ironically, the stuff is manufactured close to where I live).  I really liked the idea of placing a screw through the butt cap, but elected to go through the top; even though the bottom is a straighter section, it is a longer section and I didn't have any bits that would drill quite that far.  Plus, I was planning on installing an oval inlay anyway.   I'll post a pic of the completed joint once the epoxy cures. 

TimberGhost

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2015, 05:40:54 AM »
Well, here's how she turned out.  Still bugs me because that is the first thing my eyes go to, likely because I know it's there.  But, it is what it is.  Still a heck of a lot better than if I hadn't asked for help!  Thank y'all again.

Offline Mark Elliott

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2015, 05:50:57 AM »
It is a great repair, and if you didn't know to look for it, you wouldn't see it.    A little judicious aging when you are done will hide it some more. 

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2015, 07:22:37 AM »
Certainly a fine job.  8)
Hold to the Wind

Offline gwill

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2015, 12:14:03 PM »
A very nice recovery. Thanks for posting.

Offline J Henry

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2015, 03:44:17 PM »
  might hide the crack and improve the grip with checkering,,,  just a thought

Offline davebozell

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2015, 02:52:21 AM »
Looks good.  Great job!  If you didn't post the picture of it in two pieces, we'd never know.  Which method did you end up using to put her back together?