Author Topic: carving  (Read 2672 times)

greybeard

carving
« on: February 20, 2015, 11:25:37 PM »

Ths top carving was done on a stock that was not hard enough. Awfull result.
The other carving is a very similar carving on a nice hard maple stock. Though it is not perfect it is still 80 % better. Same builder same tools . Different as chalk & cheese. Sometimes you  just have to live with it.
Bob
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 11:35:25 PM by greybeard »

Offline wattlebuster

Re: carving
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 12:38:32 AM »
I cant carve at all so it looks pretty good to me ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 02:42:47 AM »
Hi Bob,
Love the photos and great work Bob.  Leonard Reedy?  I am just finishing up a rifle with a red maple stock that was a bear to carve.  That was not because it was too hard but the opposite, sections were too soft making it chippy and hard to preserve sharp edges and detail.  But it is what it is and it came out pretty well.  I'll be posting photos soon.  The really fun thing was I did not use sandpaper at all.  I rasped, filed, chiseled, and then scraped the stock.  The hard and soft portions of the red maple really show the scraping, but it looks really nice, old, and authentic.  Hope all is well with you and please stay in touch.  Bella says she would lick your face if she could.  I'll give her an extra hug from you.

dave
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 02:46:45 AM by smart dog »
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline old george

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 04:55:06 AM »
I have to agree with Wattle. I can't carve in fact have no artistic ability at all. They look okay to me. :-\

geo
I cannot go to Hades: Satan has a restraining order against me. :)

kaintuck

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 03:18:43 PM »
 ;D ::)
Just remove it all with scrapers and sanding......looks to have plenty of wood to do that......soft wood, yup.....

Marc n tomtom