Author Topic: Antiqueing/aging  (Read 6126 times)

Offline Gaeckle

Antiqueing/aging
« on: March 06, 2015, 07:24:10 PM »
I love the look of an aged rifle and enjoy doing so myself. The process, as far as I can tell, has many variations and techniques. I've had some conversations with others regarding 'ageing', but would any of the more seasoned and advanced members care to do a tutorial on the subject?

I'm not sure if this is a violation of a secret code of vodoo magic that should be kept under wraps, but there are probably as many variations as there are people walking the earth. It would be nice to see a visual show and tell (that we can share amongst ourselves) some of these processes.

What do you folks think?

Offline JDK

Re: Antiqueing/aging
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 07:42:09 PM »
Mike Brooks touches on it in his gun building tutorial.  Open it up and scroll down to the bottom:  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=31173.0

I can save you the trouble though, as it's the simplest technique and involves spraying the finished gun down with cheap black spray paint and then rubbing it back to the desired look.

There have been threads on here about aging.  Some use all sorts of matter in oils and finishes, Tempera paint powder, charcoal dust, other natural pigments, all sorts of stuff, worked into the nooks and crannies of the gun.  Replicating years of soot and dirt and times affect on the products used to finish the gun originally.  The "art" is in getting it to look right, and I don't know that a tutorial can teach that.

To be convincing you really have work to do before you do any of this.  Staining the wood and rubbing it back in wear areas.  Putting wear on those nice sharp edges that you worked so hard to achieve during the stock shaping stage.....etc. etc. etc.

There really is no voodoo or magic, but you have to have an eye for what looks convincing.  Study all of those nice high-def color pictures of old guns on the KRA CD's in the newer publications.  Look at and handle originals.  Resources abound.

But you know all this already. ;)  Enjoy, J.D.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 07:44:59 PM by JDK »
J.D. Kerstetter

kaintuck

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 08:40:56 PM »
or just loan it out to a brother in law... ;D

marc n tomtom

Offline Dave B

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 09:25:22 PM »
If you have never read the book call Gunsmithing Tips & Projects http://www.amazon.com/Gunsmithing-Tips-Projects-Dave-Wolfe/dp/0935632816/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1425666083&sr=1-1&keywords=gunsmithing+tips+%26+projects This is a collection of articles from Rifle magazine. If have not seen this you are missing out on a great resource. They are a wealth of information and the late John Bivins has about 14 articles in it.  Several are dedicated to restoration of an originial NC rifle and cover the distressing of the wood to make replacement wood look old. There was infact in one the discussion of the ethics of restoration and a glass of red wine. I was not clear the order of the taking the glass of wine in relation to the project. It may be that you need to loosen up before going an a perfectly clean carved section of restoration with a bundel of old keys and logging chain or that you need it when your all done.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 01:06:48 AM »
Aging is an art in itself.  Too many attempts IMO end up looking distressed, but not necessarily aged.
I have put some pieces I've made, into glass "hot boxes " in the summer sun to try to get the correct look re wood shrinkage, and it's effect on inlays, inlets etc, as well as finish.  I really like what Mike Brooks does, and very much appreciate the work of Eric Kettenburg among others.  The main thing is to really study an example that you are trying to emulate. The nuances  are what make or break the overall result in the end product IMO.   .

Offline Dave B

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 12:42:28 AM »
Some of this stuff is trial and error or lots of asking questions. I had heard about boiling with chlorox for metal parts to get them to look older for restorations or make you new gun look older. My mistake was to use one of my wifes stainless pans for the process. It worked great right up to the point were the clorox ate through the pan in multiple places. Aluminum or galvanized gutter  can work but bleach eats stainless steel. My part turned out great but the pan was ruined in the process. :-[
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 03:25:53 AM »
I know what I do, I have some old stuff to use to compare and I have free access to all the old originals that are at the Log Cabin and all the old stuff that comes in.

I have five or six old originals, 12 old original barrels, a smattering of old locks, triggers, butplates, guards and some old beat up stocks and parts of stocks.

But (and here's the big 'but'), I see what other guys post, I see other work at shows (CLA) and I see how they look and wonder: How did that guy produce that? We have all sorts of 'show & tell' how to's and I was hoping that some others that are better at this post a 'this is how I do this' sort of thing that those who would enjoy persuing that aspect could see and learn.

What I'd like to see is mostly how one works the metal: barrels, locks, etc., to prduce a realistic and believable piece of work. I have some ideas floating around in my head on a way to approach some of these aspects, but I admit that I am always in a state of flux and always learning.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 10:31:58 PM »

Here's how I was taught. 
Metal.....
Round off all edges.  Don't get crazy, just knock off the sharp edges.
Brown the $#@* out of the parts, no need to card.  You want it aggressive and pitted.  Now the hard part....sand it all off, leaving the pits.  Then blue all the parts, and rub back with Scotchbrite pads, and your favorite metal protecting lube.  I use Breakfree CLP.

Wood.....
Stain to your liking, continuously rubbing back the wear areas, and high points.  When you get it where you want it, seal it, maybe even add another coat, so you have good coverage.  Then go back with a coat of black, or black/brown finish in all the low spots, and protected areas.  When you get it where you want it, put a final coat or two of your favorite finish on till you get the look you want.

A bit time consuming, but I think it looks good.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 12:30:39 AM »
As above and I stress lots of friction, rubbing and imagination. Just run with it, you'll figure it out. From what I have read here in the past decade no two people do this the same. There really isn't a right or wrong way to do it, it's the end product that you're after.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 05:28:39 AM »
My name is Dane, and I'm an addict!!

This has become a new thing to be hooked on.

Mike, I still use the ole spray paint method at times too!!!  ;D
In His grip,

Dane

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 07:04:15 AM »
Very pretty smallpatch.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 07:00:12 PM »