Author Topic: Pennsylvania Longrifle Refferences  (Read 3251 times)

ejcrist

Pennsylvania Longrifle Refferences
« on: March 20, 2015, 08:12:36 PM »
After I finish the two kits I'm currently working on I'd like to attempt building a long rifle from parts and a plank. My favorite styles are the PA rifles such as Lehigh, Berks, York, etc. Other than pictures of kits in these styles that I've seen, I don't have much in the way of references to build from a plank, and I've searched for books covering these specific styles but I couldn't find a whole lot. I already have Dixon's book "Building the PA Longrifle" Gunsmith of Grenville County, and Shumway's "Building the American Longrifle" but I'd like more info to add to the library if it's out there. From what I can tell, it looks like Shumway's "Rifles of Colonial America Vol 1 and 2 would be good, and possibly Shumway's "Thoughts on the Kentucky Rifle in it's Golden Age may be good. There's another Shumway book, "Longrifles of PA Vol 1" on NW PA rifle styles which isn't exactly what I'm looking for and I didn't see a volume 2. If anyone has read these books could let me know which has the most info on Eastern and Central PA rifles' spec's I'd certainly appreciate it.

Gene   

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
Re: Pennsylvania Longrifle Refferences
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 08:29:01 PM »
"Rifles of Colonial America" is sort of the Bible for early guns. Lots of close up detail pictures and measurements.

Offline JDK

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 08:35:26 PM »
The books you mention are a must for any library focusing on the American Longrifle.

Also I have found the books and especially the CD's available through the Kentucky Rifle Foundation store to be good.  The one on Lehigh guns is particularly so:

http://kentuckyriflefoundation.org/krf-store/

Also, consider anything published by member here "Eastwind" Patrick Hornberger of Eastwind Publishing.  Exceptional full color photographs that you don't get in the earlier books.

Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

ejcrist

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 08:45:23 PM »
Thanks for the info gents - much appreciated.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 10:01:29 PM »
Gene,

I agree, Shumway's RCA 1 and 2, along with Kindig's "Thoughts on the Kentucky Rifle in it's Golden Age" are must have's.  But these books can get expensive.

Check with your local public library.  They may have these books on the shelf and if not, many libraries participate in the Inter-Library Loan program and you can borrow the books for a couple of weeks, then decide if you want to purchase a copy for your own.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

ejcrist

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 06:32:29 AM »
Too late - I ordered RCA 1 and 2 earlier today. I'll be happy to have them on my shelf though. With my luck, if I don't order them now they'll be out of print when I decide to buy them. I checked Amazon and I believe it was the first volume, was going for something like $300. Maybe it was an autographed copy or something. So I guess $60 ea really isn't all that bad.

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 04:50:15 AM »
Gene,

Go to the Americanlongrifles.org home page and click on the Books & Videos link:

http://www.americanlongrifles.com/Books_frame.htm

Kunk