Author Topic: Exhibits of Kentucky Rifles  (Read 3389 times)

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
Exhibits of Kentucky Rifles
« on: March 22, 2015, 05:37:41 PM »
Looking for the Names of Permanent and temporary exhibits/ Collections of Kentucky Rifles (Antique and /or Contemporary), open to the public, in US and anywhere in world. . Please add as a reply.
Hurricane

chubby

Re: Exhibits of Kentucky Rifles
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 06:47:49 PM »
The Fort Pitt Museum in Pitts. has a wonderful walk thru on two floors. Great guns and other displays. I go there every time I'm in Pittsburgh a must see for all if interested in the history of the French &Indian war and up!!   Chubby
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 05:11:41 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline wpalongrifle

• gunmaker/hornsmith
    • mkarkalla.blogspot.com
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 02:26:35 AM »
Johnston Humrickhouse Museum, Coshocton, Ohio..Historic Roscoe Village
mike karkalla
F&AM Chartiers Valley#725
North American Order of the Beaver
mkarkalla.blogspot.com

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 03:46:57 AM »
Public exhibits of longrifles I know:

Colonial Williamsburg, DeWitt Wallace Gallery, ground floor and Masterpiece gallery.
Colonial Williamsburg, Gunshop
Museum of Southern Decorative Arts,  Permanent longrifle exhibit
Winterthur, throughout collection.
Smithsonion Museum of American History, on permanent exhibit and in storage.
Virginia Historical Society, Virginia Manufactury of Arms exhibit
Landis Valley Museum, Gunshop and Viewable Storage
State Museum of Pennsylvania, have the best guns from Landis Valley in storage.

Maybe I will think of more later, but the best guns are in private hands.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 03:48:58 AM »
The Colonial Williamsburg DeWitt Wallace Decorative Arts gallery has some on display.  

My favorite is the MESDA (Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts) in Old Salem, North Carolina. It is super if you are interested in southern longrifles.  The fee is modest, and you can ask for a tour of the longrifles.  It is a big place, and not everything is always on view, so it really pays to ask for a "longrifle tour".  

Across the street from MESDA is the original Vogler rifle shop where Blake Stevenson recreates Salem style rifles.  They are a teaching location and open to folks who pay the entrance fee to Old Salem.  Worth the money.  Blake is a nice guy and very talented.  

Hope this helps.  Best wishes,   Marc

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 04:39:39 AM »
I think Kentucky Rifle Foundation announced an exhibition in the NRA museum.  Don't know the dates though.

54ball

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 08:00:40 AM »
 I am a Volunteer for Horseshoe Bend National Military Park in Daviston Alabama.

On display is the Whale's Longrifle. I have been trying to get permission to submit it to the museum, I had the OK but the park recently changed staff, I'll know more soon.

Whale earned his name by swimming the river and capturing a canoe so the Cherokees could attack the Creeks in force from the rear. This turned the battle for Andrew Jackson's forces who were bogged down at the wall across the Horseshoe.

This rifle is presently a flintlock, trimmed in silver and brass..engraved with a message of commendation from President James Madison on the box lid.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 08:14:10 AM by 54ball »

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 11:21:06 AM »
I should have noted that you can make an appointment with the curator to see collections in storage at public institutions.    You are usually allowed to handle, measure, and sometimes photograph items in storage.   If you are looking for something particular, contact the curator at the institution of interest.   They can tell what they have on exhibit and in storage.  Most museums have much more in storage than on display.