Author Topic: NSW  (Read 5225 times)

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
NSW
« on: March 02, 2009, 04:07:26 AM »
I've always been of the opinion a guy can't have too many guns, despite what the boss lady says.  I just tell her I've always hated black powder and have vowed to burn up as much as I can.  But that's another story.

After a few years of seeing them in print I've been going to the NSW website a lot in recent months.  I really do like the looks of the NWTG.  I'm finally seriously considering possibly getting one, perhaps around the end of this year.   My inclinations are for a 24 guage NWG.

From reading the forums I gather that they are highly regarded.  I'd like to know what some of you think of them.  Any info/opinion will help.

!Jozai Senjo!  "always present on the battlefield"
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Daryl

Re: NSW
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 07:44:56 PM »
Flintr- I had a NWTG some years ago - too many, but still remember that gun. It was made by Curly G. and well made- however in 12 bore at about 5 1/2 pounds, it was way too light and kicked me back 2 weeks every time I fired it- developing a flinch that still haunts me. In a smaller sized bore, with heavier build, it would be fine, I think - rough and tough hunting gun.

northmn

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 08:38:29 PM »
I ahve seen more original NW Trade guns in my area than any other type of BP firearm as the Lake Superior area was the one of the primary fur trade  "highways"  I have the Tradegun Sketchbook and Hansens book on the subjest.  I have never built one nor owned one but have owned and shot several smoothbores.  They were a primary trade item to the local natives, and I have felt that that is their place in history.  Their "typical" use.  The traders had trouble with company suppliers (American Fur Trade CO and the HBC) in that they felt the customers were unsophisticated and therefore that they could cheapen the product.  The customers were in fact quite demanding as the trade gun was a primary tool of survival and as such expected them to work.  It depends upon your reinactment interests or philosophy on authenticity.  A modern NW reproduction can be made into a very usable firearm.  They were almost universally a 24 gauge.  Another reason I never built one for myself as I prefer smoothbores in a larger gauge.  Were I to pick the the ideal  smoothie it would be a 16 or 14.  A lot of folks shooting smooth bores shoot mostly RB in them.  I shoot a lot of shot and have found the bigger bores more efficient.  They also have considerably more authority for the times I may want to use one with a RB.  Before you buy look at some of the web pages on fowlers such as the one by Mike Brooks and compare.  Feltwad, in the Antique section has recieved a lot of pictures on English fowlers, check out Jim Chambers site on fowlers and kits or Track of the Wolf.  The NWTG was a good firearm and many that own them enjoy them, but I feel there are better, more representative ones.

DP 

tg

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 04:05:22 AM »
I have had two NSW gun and both were very reliable guns if Iwere to go with another NW gun or Chiefs gun it would be from a set of parts from NSW

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 05:20:42 AM »
Tg, that's a useful recommendation.  Don't recall ever hearing any negatives concerning NSW guns.  Thanks, all.

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 05:44:51 AM »
Though I don't own a NSWTG, I did get a chance to review several of Matt "laffindog" Dennison' trade guns at our local Rondy some years back.  I sure
wish Matt would make another trip our way.

I can tell you this.  Matt has spent many hours at the Chadron Fur Trade Museum studying these NWTG's, (one of the few allowed to handle the originals) and you can bet if you get one of Matt's, it's most likely an exact copy.

All I can say about Matt's work is, Grade A Number One! :)

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 07:45:46 AM »
Gents, I'm convinced.  I like what I'm hearing on this page about NSW trade guns.  Got to consider adding one for sure.  Thanks.

Leatherbelly

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 08:45:31 AM »
 A little late, but I'd like to chime in. Not to knock NSW, but look at Kentucky Jeffs,Fusil-De-Chasse in the For Sale/Wanted section. If I was looking for a Tradegun, I'd buy this gun in a heartbeat. I've handled a Curly G. and they are a fine gun but I like the "Frenchies"! JMHO,lol.

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 07:27:36 PM »
I looked at the Fusil-de- Chasse and yes, it made my mouth water.  Price is right, too.  Thing is I have an early American fowler already on order and won't be in the market for a trade gun till years end at the earliest.  My desires clearly outpace my pocketbook.  Had to put a .54 longrifle on hold already.  That gun sure is nice, though.

Leatherbelly

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 07:55:48 PM »
Flintr,
  Care to elaborate on which early American Fowler you have on order? Just curious,'cause I have a Chambers Penn Fowler.This gun is a real 'sweetheart' and I'm still learning how to shoot it. I think my problem is that I'm used to shooting a tradegun with no cast off and the tang screw used as a reference for center.
  With the Fowler I've just had a 'witness mark' scribed  into the tang and breech.Hoping this will help find center with this guns cast off.(1/4") Now if the weather would cooperate!...

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 09:51:31 PM »
Leatherbelly, the fowler I ordered is the early American Fowler from TVM (Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading, Matt & Toni) not the other TVM.  It will be very plain with plain, dark finished maple & aged steel finish (which I have on my Virginia and love) and a Chambers Colonial Virginia flintlock.  I've always been a rifle shooter and this is my first smoothbore.  It will have a 40" bbl and be in 20ga.  I'll be interested if you wish to share any experiences/info.  I'll be on a learning curve and everything will be new to me.  I'm short and always specify a 13in pull which is max for me.