Author Topic: gun repair  (Read 7098 times)

Offline Daniel

gun repair
« on: April 10, 2015, 01:30:23 AM »
 I sent a rifle to one on this board. He got it today. It has a crack from the center below the lock
where the pin holds the guard down to the trigger running back. Is this gun gone or can it be repaired ?
I will try to get a picture of it posted. Maybe the post office broke it. I did insure it.
Daniel     Ecc.4:12

Offline grabenkater

Re: gun repair
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 01:58:50 AM »
Here's a couple photos of the break.

http://imgur.com/pyko7Vv

http://imgur.com/lOa9JkX
When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 02:54:25 AM »
I think a crack like that can be repaired, but you should also make your post office aware of it and begin a claim.  You may be able to get partial money for the value lost due to the breakage and still get to keep your rifle.  Sticking to the gun building aspect of things, If it were mine I would begin by removing the triggerguard pin and using super-thin CA glue.  Carefully take the lock and triggerguard out and wax them so nothing sticks, then replace them to keep things in line.  The glue runs like water except it has no surface tension and will flow into every crack possible.  Feed the crack until it appears to not take up any more glue, then let it sit overnight.  This should stabilize the wood and prevent further cracking, allowing you to remove the hardware and perhaps add some structure beneath the lock if it is needed.  Without seeing more or feeling how loose the crack is I'm not sure what else I would do.  Sorry that happened!
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 03:02:23 AM »
As my grandfather would have said, that's enough to vex a saint.  Yes it can be fixed and there are several ways to approach it.  I'm sure those with more experience restoring will have good ideas.  On a contemporary piece like that, after I got done crying I'd consider cutting away quite a bit of wood in the barrel channel, lock inlet, ramrod hole, trigger inlet area slanting forward in the barrel channel and gluing in a big block of replacement wood.  None of it showing on the exterior.  Then re-inlet all the parts into solid wood.

Back in the day of course they screwed in brass straps from the wrist under the lock and forward to stabilize a crack like that.

Glad Eric chimed in while I was typing. good approach.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 03:03:26 AM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline Daniel

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 03:08:52 AM »
 Ok, I'm ignorant. What is CA glue ? I trust you guys here and thank you.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 03:14:51 AM »
Hi,
Cyanoacrylate glue.  Superglue.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 03:30:58 AM »
Be careful and have area well ventilated when using ca,it will take your breath,and attach to the lining of the nose.Found out the usual way.Dave ???

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 04:09:51 AM »
It might be hard to prove that the post office contributed to the breakage.  Could of cracked due to humidity or climate changes.  Especially with all the severe weather we are currently experiencing.  Good luck.
David

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 04:29:58 AM »
I get mine from this place:  http://www.caglue.com/  the "hot stuff" is for wicking into cracks.  Be very careful with the stuff, it truly WILL go anywhere and glue your hands together before you realize your fingers are feeling hot (it creates a little heat as it cures). 
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 05:04:02 AM »
I once got some on my finger.  I reflexively licked my finger.  Right!  Glued my tongue fast to my finger.  Be real careful with that stuff.  I now keep CA release on hand.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline EC121

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 05:09:43 AM »
For a one time repair you can buy smaller bottles at TowerHobbies.com.  The big bottles go bad before they get used up.  I use the smaller bottles on my model airplanes.  The super thin will run places you never imagined, but it will soak into the wood well.
Brice Stultz

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 05:43:07 AM »
Been told ca will keep longer if kept in refrigerator.    Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2015, 04:27:00 PM »
I would use titebond or Elmer's carpenter glue.
Not knowing anything past the photos I would;
Get 1-2 syringes and some small needles, try your veterinary. Get 3-4 feet of surgical tubing or other long elastic.
Disassemble all parts in the area, barrel, lock trigger etc. Wax them with floor wax to a thin waxed surface.  Remove or pack lock internals with wax to defeat any glue locking it in place by getting behind parts. Wax the exterior of the stock too DO NOT get any wax close to or in the crack.
Clamp buttstock in a padded vise and see if its possible to GENTLY flex the break. If it will gap a little use the syringe to get glue into the cracks as deep as possible. Flex joint closed a time or two to spread the glue deeper. Put in the barrel and the lock back in quickly and "clamp" with the tubing, not too tight this can apply a lot of pressure. Just a little stretch with each wrap to pull the joint shut.
If it will not gap then I would drill some holes in hidden areas to get the needle back in the crack.
Why no super glue? Sets too fast never could get it to work well. I KNOW that Titebond and Elmers works.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline FDR

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2015, 04:45:15 PM »
Good advice on using the CA.   Try it ! It works.  And remember, don't go do any fluid management with CA on your hand!  ;D

Offline Daniel

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2015, 06:37:00 PM »
 Thank you all for your help. I do hope Paul can get this repaired good.
Still can't figure out what happened.

Daniel

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2015, 07:04:31 PM »
I would fix it exactly like Eric described with the exact same stuff.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2015, 07:44:20 PM »
Hi Daniel,
Dan's method and advice is also very good.  Elmers and Titebond are good products and they can also be thinned a little with water to flow into the crack.  They take much longer to dry but will do the job without the odor or "glued my hand to my fly" problem.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline ehoff

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2015, 08:32:52 PM »
If your going to go with Titebond or Elmers, you can also use compressed air to blow the glue into the crack. If you don't have an air compressor, pick up a can of compressed air at an office supply store.  Its used to clean computer and other electronics. It doesn't take too much pressure, just enough to help the glue flow. If your going the CA route most hobby shops carry Hot Stuff  super glue.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 08:34:17 PM by ehoff »

Offline Daniel

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2015, 08:38:16 PM »
 Yea I glued my thumb to a stock once. Nothing like putting a little of yourself in the work.

Offline Daniel

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2015, 10:55:05 PM »
I submitted a claim on the rifle today too.
At least a partial to fix rifle.

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2015, 12:06:46 AM »
Bob Hill, Yes definetly keep in the fridge for longer life. The Reason I know this is beacayse whe I was in the Air Force back in the 70s our department would get 1 quart bottles of  vert good quality super glue. It was kept in the refridgerator at all times when not in use. That stuff would last for years as long as it was refridgerator kept.
Thats where i have kept mine ever since, It works.

topknot                                                                             
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!