Author Topic: Another cast off question  (Read 4364 times)

Offline conquerordie

Another cast off question
« on: May 11, 2015, 10:59:15 PM »
Here's my problem. I can add a little over a 1/4" of cast off on this jaeger I'm building. My issue is that the,tang on my buttplate is close to 8" long. It seems like I can't draw my center line from the nose of the comb to 1/4" to the side of my center line at the end of the stock as the tang won't be centered. Its like I have to move my cast off a 1/4" at the nose and end of the stock in order for the tang to be centered on the comb. Any suggestions? Thanks everyone
Greg

Offline conquerordie

Re: Another cast off question
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 11:27:47 PM »
What if I start from my center line of the stock at the end of the breechplug and offset the cast off amount at the,tip of the comb?
Greg

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 12:01:22 AM »
I'm not sure I understand your question but the cast off (1/4 inch) is only 1/4 inch from center at the butt and tappers into the center line at the nose. My take on it anyway, your castoff line becomes the new center line. Your tang should center on this line from butt to the end of the tang going up to the nose of the comb.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 12:08:38 AM by smylee grouch »

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 12:19:09 AM »
Smylee grouch,

Thanks for the reply. I agree with everything you said. When I move my buttplate over by the amount of cast off my tang will not be centered on the new comb. I can see  doing this with a short square tanged rifle it would work easily. But this 8" tang doesn't seem to line up. I'm missing something. Been staring at it for the last two hours. Thanks for the help. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
Greg

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 12:39:36 AM »
The tang of the butt plate should be centered on the center of the cast off line, the heel of the butt should be centered on the 1/4 inch cast off line at the rear of the stock. The cast off line should not run parellel to the center line of the stock but form a long skinny triangle from butt to comb. Still not sure what you mean by new comb. Do you mean the cast off line when you say new comb?

Offline sz

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 12:40:28 AM »
Think of your cast-line as a spoke of a wheel.
The hub is the center of the breach end of the barrel.

So you would draw a line coming exactly in line with the barrel on your blank, which would be your "6:00" spoke.  Then draw a mark 1/4" to the right of that mark at the distance you have from the breach to give you the correct length of pull.

Now draw a second line from the breach of the barrel to the mark you just made.  That line is the center of the butt-stock comb and gives you 1/4" cast.

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 02:35:49 AM »
I guess there are few hard and fast rules in gun architecture and establishing cast off seems to be one of them.  I'm starting on a Gillespie rifle and have a scale drawing for a Harvey Gillespie rifle.  The drawing shows the 1/4 inch cast off starting just ahead of the comb rather than at the breech.  Perhaps this is because the long lollipop style tang ends there and if the cast off started at the breech the tang would be noticeably off center. 

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 02:53:38 AM »
Generally, start the "bend" of the cast off in the area of the nose of the comb.  With the butt off 1/4" (or more), you can simply draw a straight line from the cast off "center" to the centerline of the stock, in line with barrel center at the nose of the comb.  Pretty straightforward.

Actually, with German rifles, you can cast the nose of the comb off to the outside a little bit too.   ;)

And keep that butt up!  None of this 3" drop stuff!!!

;D
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 05:16:07 AM »
Conquerordie, are you working with a blank?  If so, you do recognize that the buttplate will be square to the line of the castoff, not square to a line drawn back to continue the center line, right?  The buttplate is slightly canted when you have castoff.  Hard to explain, easy to show.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 06:21:02 AM »
On the top of the blank, mark the centerline of the plate 1/4" inch over from stock centerline.

Then take a ruler and place it on the center of the tang and the BP centermark. Pencil the line in. The long BP tang should be inlet centered on this line.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 06:22:01 AM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline huntinguy

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 07:50:48 AM »
Conquerordie, are you working with a blank?  If so, you do recognize that the buttplate will be square to the line of the castoff, not square to a line drawn back to continue the center line, right?  The buttplate is slightly canted when you have castoff.  Hard to explain, easy to show.

I have wondered the same thing as Greg.

So, if I understand you. The butt plate is in line with the comb along the cast off line and the flat, the part that rests against the shoulder,  is perpendicular to the cast off line and not the line of the bore... interesting.  I would have thought that would have made the butt plate dig into the shoulder.

Thanks.
Anything worth shooting is worth shooting once.

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 02:18:06 PM »
So the buttplate needs to be canted or angled not parallel to the breech end of the barrel. Your the,winner Mr. Pierce! I was using the end of the stock parallel to the breech but trying to get the tang to line up with the cast off center line on the comb. I could see the only way to do it was to have the whole plate angled, but did not realize the,stock would be cut,at an angle. I could see that it needed to be done, but I thought I was screwing something up! So to pay this out just Make a line at a right angle to the cast off center line? Thanks everyone so much for your help. I'm learning something new every day with this project.
Greg

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 08:20:03 PM »
Stophel,

Tell me about casting the nose of the comb to the outside please. How do you do it? Thanks,
Greg