Author Topic: Help with tools for Jim Chambers Class  (Read 3602 times)

Offline MontanaFrontier86

Help with tools for Jim Chambers Class
« on: May 06, 2015, 05:37:27 AM »
I am new to muzzleloader building. I am attending a Jim Chambers class in about a week or so. I need help with a place to pick up the tools. Here is a list. Is there a website where I can get  most of these supplies? Links to everything would really help me out too. Thanks for bearing with a newb new to building.
1. Plastic Mallet and Ball Peen Hammer, What size?
2. Surform, What size?
3. File Card?
4. Assorted Files, Small rat tail 6", 6" mill bastard? Links to these would really help because I have no idea.
5. Tap & Wrench, 8X32 two flute tap and appropriate wrench, again a link would help greatly.
6. Jewelers saw and blades
7. Parallel Clamp, need help picking one out. 6-7" size wise I beleive
8. 1/16 Punch
9. Square and Straight edge
10. Cutting Oil? Where and what kind?
11. Opti Visor?
12. Center Punch
13. Counter Sink Bit, What size and where to buy?
14. Number drill bits # 29 & #18? again no idea what that is or where to buy.

Offline Rich

Re: Help with tools for Jim Chambers Class
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 08:35:16 AM »
If you're not sure what the tool is or where to get it, google the tool and you'll get a lot of information. Your local hardware store is a good start. The surform comes in all kinds of shapes and sizes. The 10 to 12 inch length and shaped like a file is what I use. Lowes sells them as do others. Track of the Wolf, Muzzleloader Builders Supply, Woodcraft are all good places to look for some of the other tools. The optivisor is a personal matter. I have one. I also bought a cheap knockoff at Harborfreight Tools that actually works better for me most of the time. The numbered drill bits are just drill bits. The numbers refer to the size. Like I said above, Google this stuff and you'll learn a lot. Have fun in the class.

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 04:04:53 PM »
The cutting oil I use I bought at Lowe's hardware.  I am not sure the brand. 

Files and file cards can usually be found at Lowes. 

As far as taps, counter sinks and drill bits I am a big fan of Track of the Wolf's bits and taps.  They list them in their catalog and I think list the taps and bits that you will need together.  I am not sure why, but I really think they work better than bits I have purchased elsewhere. 

For other items check out Wood Workers supply online or Woodcraft online. 

As far as the sureform rasp.  I much prefer Nicholson rasps.  They cost more but are well worth it and you will get your money's worth out of them.

Coryjoe

Offline sz

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 04:54:38 PM »
Well if I were to interject, here are some notes I's make from your list.

1. Plastic Mallet and Ball Peen Hammer, What size?  I use a 6OZ and a 12 OZ hamer.  For a mallet I'd get a mid size rubber one

2. Surform, What size?  I don't use them, so I can't say about this one.

3. File Card?  YES!

4. Assorted Files, Small rat tail 6", 6" mill bastard? Links to these would really help because I have no idea.  Another one that you'll get some use from is a chain saw file.  Also one of the magic tools for the stock maker is a Farriers Rasp.

5. Tap & Wrench, 8X32 two flute tap and appropriate wrench, again a link would help greatly.  Get this type.  https://cdn.mscdirect.com/global/images/ProductImages/8640448-24.jpg
Not this type. https://cdn.mscdirect.com/global/images/ProductImages/0026537-23.jpg
The long one is a good tool, but when you want to tap the trigger guard plate for the tang screw the long one will not clear the comb of the stock.
I like to have a tap wrench large enough to turn a 7/16 tap, but small enough to hold a 4X40
Such wrenches are not made any more to my knowledge so you might have to buy 2 of them, one small and one larger.
Also you may find that having some 10X32 taps will be helpful

6. Jewelers saw and blades.  Yes.  http://www.riogrande.com/category/tools-and-equipment/120/Saw-Blades-and-Frames/340

7. Parallel Clamp, need help picking one out. 6-7" size wise I believe.  That will do fine.  Get some "C" Clamps too.  4" size is fine.

8. 1/16 Punch.  Get a few.  1/16"  1/8" and 1/4
9. Square and Straight edge.  Yes and get a long straight edge.  I use a piece of precision ground steel 4 feet long.  Pretty cheap to buy and you can lay out plans and stocks with it.

10. Cutting Oil? Where and what kind?  Any good oil from a plumbing supplier.

11. Opti Visor? yes if you need one

12. Center Punch  YES!  MSC or Enco can supply this too.

13. Counter Sink Bit, What size and where to buy?  MSC or Enco again.  Get a 1/4" and a 1/2"

14. Number drill bits # 29 & #18? again no idea what that is or where to buy.  These are called "Wire gauge drills"  There are also fractional drills and letter drills.  You will use a few of each from time to time.  You can get them all from MSC, Enco or Brownells.  You will need a #28 for 8X32 screws.  You use a #21 for 10x32.  You will use a letter Q for Jim's White Lightning flash hole liner. You should also get a #6 or 7 to drill clearance holes for #10 screws, a #20 for clearance hols from #8 screws.  You will need some to drill holes in the wood for wood screws but I can't tell you what to get because I don't know what size screws you'll have. 

I make muzzleloaders full time, so I have a bit of knowledge about these things.  If you'd like, e-mail me any time, or call and I'll help you if I can.
szihn@wyoming.com

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 05:51:24 PM »
Your starting a little late trying to gather this stuff in less than a week so I would say try any and all hardware stores, big box stores & all other like  places near you -- now. Take your list with you and good luck - enjoy ;D
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 03:36:43 AM »

Your starting a little late trying to gather this stuff in less than a week so I would say try any and all hardware stores, big box stores & all other like  places near you -- now. Take your list with you and good luck - enjoy ;D

I guess! You should have started this a year ago! Good luck...

Offline ScottH

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 01:35:04 AM »
quite a bit of what you listed might be found at your local ACE Hardware store.
Things more specific like the jewelers saw etc you will need to order, and probably pay a bit more for expedited shipping.
Good Luck!