Author Topic: Browning a barrel  (Read 3106 times)

Offline sydney

Browning a barrel
« on: May 08, 2015, 01:22:13 AM »
Looking to brown a barrel with a light color not the dark brown
 Seems by the time I get the color even the color is dark
  Any ideas would help
   Thanks   Sydney

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Re: Browning a barrel
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 01:34:00 AM »
The finer you polish the barrel the more translucent the color. Be sure to clean the barrel completey after the polishing process. Also carding the rust process to the point of allmost complete removal in the first few rustings will help keep it from getting to dark. This is not an easy process and is more work but will produce a nice reddish brown that looks like a hand rubbed auto paint job.

I once saw a barrel that was done this way by Mark Siver and it was beautiful. Mark informed me that he carded the barrel with a real fine brass wire wheel.

Good luck
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 01:37:45 AM by bama »
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 02:14:18 AM »
Repeat from a recent post..........

I have been experimenting some with the last three rifles I have built.  Not necessarily a "dark grey" patina, but it's not a brown and it's not a blue...I'm not quite sure what it is, but I like it....so far.  Here  are some variations on the same theme on 3 different rifles.....

The process is as follows:  I start a rust brown exactly as I would for a plumb brown finish.  I use a damp box and do one, two, or three, rust cycles of Laurel Mountain Forge Barrel Brown carding with a brass wire tooth brush each cycle.  The number of cycles depends on if I want the final finish more grey / blue or more bronze / brown.  Once I have a couple of brown cycles on it, I handle the barrel with latex gloves.  I take the barrel and put it on the bench covered with a plastic trash bag taped down.  Now I scrub the barrel with a small, maroon ScotchBrite pad (2" x2") soaked in one of the cold blue solutions (Oxpho-Blue, Dicropan T-4, Historic House Parts Brass Ager) until I get the barrel to look like I want it.  If you only give it two browning passes and do not dwell too long with the cold blue, the barrel comes out with a slight golden tone.  More browning passes and not much ScotchBrite rubbing and it comes out a little more brown.  Rub it a little more with the cold blue, and it takes on a darker, bluer tone.  I did one where I subsequently rubbed all the finish off the edges with a dry ScotchBrite pad, and that looks OK too (a little more "worn") but I figure use and handling will take care of that fast enough anyway.

Just some thoughts.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 08:58:44 PM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline sydney

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 08:37:29 PM »
Hi--Thanks for the help
         Sydney