Author Topic: 35" bull barrel needed  (Read 4557 times)

jke

35" bull barrel needed
« on: June 08, 2015, 12:30:55 AM »
Can anyone please tell me where I might find a 1.40 to 1.5 inch dia. 45 cal 18:1 twist round barrel 35 inches in length?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 12:33:22 AM by jke »

Offline smylee grouch

Re: 35" bull barrel needed
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 12:36:06 AM »
You might try the clasified forum of this site. Sounds more like a bullet gun so it might be harder to find here.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 01:19:55 AM »
That's a bullet twist, for sure. This is not the best forum for that kind of barrel. Try Single Shot Rifle group, ASSRA.

Badger Barrel might make a barrel like this.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 01:25:19 AM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 01:56:45 AM »
Check Green Mountain's website.  They still might have some round barrel blanks left in that caliber that are the diameter you seek.  What you are looking for is a black powder cartridge barrel that is made from good steel to withstand large loads and heavy bullets.  Muzzleloading rifles are most often made from them.

A couple of the barrel makers on the board would probably make you one from 4130 if it was a straight barrel without a fancy profile.  But be prepared to wait for it.  I know that John Getz, LongHammock, and Rice have all made them in the past.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

jke

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 02:50:23 AM »
Thanks for the tips,
What I am looking for is a "Gibbs" type bore with fast twist for long range work. With an outside profile similar to a Norwegian Kassepipe profile. Seeing I am a Scandinavian gun collector it would fit the rest of my collection fairly well.
Here are pictures of a couple of Kassepipes.
If you know of anyone that can rough in  the square to octagon work, I think I can take care of the finishing and simple engraving. Pictures by "runastav"

« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 02:58:43 AM by jke »

Offline runastav

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 12:45:59 PM »
Hi All
I have ordered a Kassepipeløp in cal 50 smoothbore from Charles Burton :)Will handrifle it on my rifling bench, so jke ask him making you one
Runar

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 04:37:28 PM »
Norwegian Kassepipe
Since I'm not familiar with the Norwegian language, does Kassepipe translate to Gas Pipe in English?
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline runastav

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 05:33:23 PM »
Hi
TOF  her is a photo and in the left it is english, this barrels are typikal Norwegian :)
Runar

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 06:55:00 PM »
If you want it   www.thegunworks.com can make it.  They have the Sharon barrel machine and specialize in custom bbl. to 35"  Even Alex. Henry rifling, and the wait is "usually"  not to long.  Known Joe Williams for 30 plus years, good people to deal with.  Check out on-line catalog, phone & e-mail on it.     ...Tom

ddoyle

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 07:38:54 PM »
AS someone who took Tom's advice in the past I'll add: The great thing about calling/writing Joe or Suzie at the Gunworks is that every time you do they deliver exactly what you asked for and they ask you exactly what you want. The height of knowledgeable and professionalism.

While you are ordering a couple barrels do your self a favor and request of Joe some stock wood. Give him a budget to aim for and you wont be disappointed.

TGW sets the standard, If I Had the money I'd order a lifetime's worth of wood and barrels from them while they are still working and save a lifetime of frustration.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 09:13:09 PM by ddoyle »

jke

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 10:58:57 PM »
Thank you for the input gentlemen.

Steve-In

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 03:43:58 AM »
Bob Hoyt