Author Topic: Lehigh Valley Pistol  (Read 3204 times)

Offline moleeyes36

Lehigh Valley Pistol
« on: June 13, 2015, 10:12:29 PM »
For my first attempt at building from a blank, I'm gathering the parts to take a shot at making a Lehigh Valley pistol based on a set of plans I bought from Eric von Aschwege's Neahkahnie Flintlocks website.  I’m using a 9 ¼ inch octagon to round barrel from Hugh Toenjes that Dave Keck inlet into a nice piece of striped maple for me. 

I intend to use a small Siler lock for the pistol as the plans recommend.  This lock is available from Muzzleloader Builders’ Supply with a brass lock plate and a simulated color case hardened one as well as the regular steel plate.  My question is would either the brass or simulated colored case hardened plate be appropriate for a Lehigh Valley pistol?  Thanks.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Lehigh Valley Pistol
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 01:20:51 AM »
Brass wouldn't be typical but maybe interesting.  Probably most originals had case hardened, polished locks without the case colors. 
Andover, Vermont

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 03:03:16 AM »
Hi,
According to some gun historians, William Bailes was the first maker to intentionally color caseharden and preserve the colors as decoration.  That was around 1760. I don't believe it became really popular in England until the last decade of the 18th century and I doubt many American gun makers were doing it until well into the 19th century.  I don't believe it would be appropriate for a Lehigh pistol but then again, English and European styles found traction in the big cities such as Philly so by the early 19th century, who knows.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 06:33:35 PM »
@!*%, that is one smart dog.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 08:35:12 PM »
I think Rich is on the money.  Case hardened and polished locks seem to be the norm for colonial pieces.  If you like the look of brass though, then go for it.  I would avoid the "simulated" case hardened appearance, as it really doesn't look like true case hardening.  I don't know about the rest of you, but by the time I finish a rifle the lock has all sorts of small scratches on it that need to be polished out - it's always the last thing that I finish.
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 10:21:22 PM »
Thanks for the information.  I'm going to stick with a plain steel lock plate polished out like suggested.  That's what I usually do so i'm comfortable with it.  Actually, brass lock plates don't appeal much to me but I was interested in whether or not they would be appropriate for a Lehigh Valley pistol in case I wanted to go that way some time. 

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer