Author Topic: Patchbox photos finally figured out... I think  (Read 2486 times)

Offline danmart77

• Starting Member
Patchbox photos finally figured out... I think
« on: June 16, 2015, 09:16:35 PM »

Well I think I might have it now. Getting a photo posted that is. I'm working with a patch box inlet these days and I thought I might post some progress as I go and get some feedback.

Some might recognize the basic shape here. The design is from a picture of a rifle made by Mr Robert Watts. I first saw his work in an old Foxfire book when it came out. I really liked it then and still like it now.

This rifle is for a lefty friend which is a little unusual for me. Its also a "hodge-podge" of parts I had sitting around. My friend's birthday comes up in August so I have to keep pluggin' along with this.

He loves curly maple and he likes the brass mounts but he didn't want a full stock? So half stock with long rifle details. I like to practice for my long rifle efforts when I can. The curly maple is good but it got a little weak down on the butt end of the wood. I figured I'd practice inletting a pierced box to get back to honing my chisel work.

I'm pretty good working with the wood but I am not much on the engraving skills. Any advice is welcome here.

Till next time
Dan
Durham, NC

« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 11:20:17 PM by Dr. Tim-Boone »

Offline Pete G.

Re: Patchbox photos finally figured out... I think
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 06:56:11 PM »
Engraving is not really all that difficult. The hardest part is convincing yourself to start. TOW offers a couple of DVDs that will get you well on your way. Try a few practice plates; brass door kickplates from Lowe's will furnish all the brass you will need and then some. The main trick is to keep your gravers sharp. An inlay doesn't need to have very much engraving to make a big difference, neither does it have to be of "Jewelry quality" to look good. The biggest problem with most attempts is beginning with a good design. Study photos in some of the available books and try sketching some designs out on paper. Just a few simple cuts on some otherwise plain surfaces can make all the difference in the world.

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 11:50:27 PM »
There have been lots of discussions on engraving in the past.  If you click on the search icon up above, type "engraving" into the search for box, click on "search in topic subjects only", unclick the check all box, click on the "choose a board to search in", click gun building - then hit search.  Load of information will pop up for you.

If you can work with wood and have some finesse with your hands, you can learn to engrave.  The Lindsay sharpening templates were a huge help to me.  I use the 96 degree and the 121 degree mostly.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 01:28:36 AM »
 Nice work but you put the patchbox on the wrong side.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.