Author Topic: My first build. Are cva, lyman, etc cap locks worth using.  (Read 5858 times)

Offline Musclenut

• Starting Member
My first build. Are cva, lyman, etc cap locks worth using.
« on: June 25, 2015, 04:18:25 PM »
I'm starting my first build its going to be a black powder percussion pistol. It's a budget build. I don't want to sink a lot of money in top of the line parts on my first build.
I need a cheap lock. Are any of the cva, lyman, etc. worth using. I see them for sale cheap from time to time. Currently I have a trapper pistol blank and a 15/16ths .40cal barrel.

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
Re: My first build. Are cva, lyman, etc cap locks worth using.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 06:29:00 PM »
Sure why not.  There're two different kinds, bridled and not.  Either one can work--some a those have been firing since the 70's.  Clean and tune so springs & tumbler don't leave rub marks on inside of plate.  Have at it, your in right place to get help--if you need some, MANY years valuable experience on here.   And pic's ---we like pic's.....Tom

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 09:29:09 AM »
If you live anywhere near any of the great gatherings US folks go to, then you may find a good lock or two used or otherwise for very little money.  I know I did at Lake Cumberland "Mini CLA" this year. 

I personally wouldn't waste my time with those you mention unless I was in some remote place with no good connection to society-like Charlie down in Africa.  You can make one work.  Yes indeed.  I'm not nay-saying that. Best of luck.
Hold to the Wind

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 03:10:25 PM »
As Wade suggested, locating a good quality used lock might be worth attempting.  It costs nothing but a couple minutes of your time to post what you're looking for in the classified section here on the forum.  There are a lot of folks here and the chances are good that you'll find someone who has what you need and will part with it for a good price. 

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Musclenut

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 03:22:36 PM »
Moleyes36 I think I'll post in the wanted adds. I didn't want an Italian or Spanish lock anyway!

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 05:37:54 PM »
Almost any lock will pop a cap.  An inexpensive lock on a trial build percussion will probably be OK. Once you get into flint however, everything changes.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 07:00:00 PM »
Almost any lock will pop a cap.  An inexpensive lock on a trial build percussion will probably be OK. Once you get into flint however, everything changes.

Whoops, also I tend to think "flintlock" for everything.  Cap busters are significantly simpler.  If one tunes the lock such that all the important parts are fitted well and properly hard, then you'll probably be fine.  at least for function.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 07:36:58 PM »
The CVA/Tradition locks, suffer from poor to no hardening of international parts. They wear quickly, and begin to bind up pretty fast. You soon will be looking for a good lock. The TC/ Lyman lock are better, but being coil spring, and harder to tune. I would not waste my time with them in most cases.

Hungry Horse

Offline B.Habermehl

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 03:35:21 PM »
It does not take a great lock to bust a cap. The big issue is how long the lock will wear.  Look on the web for a good deal on a Siler or L & R or Davis cap lock. Good deal are there to be had, as people get ideas to start projects and get cold feet later. BJH
BJH

Offline bgf

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 09:56:25 PM »
The later CVA and current Traditions maslin style cap locks are cheaply built but will hold up busting caps pretty well.  I have several thousand shots on one and I know of several others.  They do lack a bridle and fly, but you can upgrade them later with the L&R RPL locks if you like how the build comes out.

Some of the early CVA and other import  locks were horrible.  The worst one I ever saw was on a Tower pistol kit.  The tumbler shaft hole was way over and I suspect the parts were very soft.

greybeard

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 11:03:19 PM »
I tend to take another view. Save your money and buy the best lock available. If your build turns out you have a fine piece, If it does not turn out as you expected you still have a fine lock for your next build. That has always been me aproach and I have never regretted it.
       Good luck.  Bob

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 01:57:20 AM »
You will quickly be disappointed with a lock such as you have described.  You are about to put a lot of time and effort into your buid, just to find that you won't enjoy shooting it, with a junk lock.  And without a fly in the tumbler, you will not be able to fine tune the trigger so that you have a trigger pull that is conducive to being able to hit a mark.  Buy a decent lock and save yourself a lot of disappointment.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Musclenut

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 03:14:50 PM »
Alright i'll track down a good lock!