Author Topic: question about smoothing a barrel blank  (Read 5352 times)

dmb25

question about smoothing a barrel blank
« on: July 14, 2015, 03:41:24 PM »
A few years back my grandfather gave me a rifling bench and barrel tub and I have been trying to get things around to rifle it the only thing is the tub he gave me contained some rust and some pitting not deep but it needs to be addressed any suggestions on the best way of going about doing this
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 03:50:44 PM by David Belzer »

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Re: question about smoothing a barrel blank
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 05:37:59 PM »
I'd say a reamer on your rifling bench would work.
In His grip,

Dane

dmb25

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 05:48:32 PM »
now would I just want to use a regular strait flute reamer or should is there a particular type I should use?

sbaker

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 06:11:34 PM »
Check out Bookies web page it has several pics of reamers, the reaming bench. It should give you a couple of ideas.

http://toadhallrifleshop.com/bits-reamers/

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 06:43:27 PM »
And probably don't do the work bare foot!  ;D

John
John Robbins

dmb25

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 08:19:26 PM »
oh ill be sure to put on some socks when I work  ;D and thanks

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 01:40:22 PM »
Here are some photos of one of the armory reamers that I use.  They do tend to be tough on the arm so I ream a couple of passes, the do another job for a while, and then back for some more passes, you get the idea.  Sort of like rifling, it takes about 6 hours for the 700 or so cuts required.  That six hours may take me a week!

This reamer will fit into a 0.43 minimum bore barrel and I use it up to about 0.56 cal.  It is water quench steel, square in cross section with two corners sharp and two corners dull.  It is fully hard with the exception of the lantern chuck end which is stress relieved.  I shape the tool and quench vertically in brine.  Any resulting warpage is taken away by a flat sheet of abrasive paper on the top flat platten of my table saw.  This will straighten out any warp. 

I do drive it with a brace, although I guess a variable speed drill on slow would be OK also.  I find that the square reamer cuts very aggressively in wrought iron.  The lantern chuck is of brass.  You can put a dab of epoxy to allow the tool to be pulled back if you wish.

The shim is hardwood and I use regular notebook paper for shims & plenty of oil.  It is really interesting how aggressive a cut one of these square armory reamers will take.  (The wood shim is made from a popsicle stick - but don't tell anybody).  I think that I can ream a rough wrought iron barrel to a mirror finish in a couple of hours if I work straight through.  The shim will butt up against the brass lantern so it stays in place.  However I have found that this is not needed as the shim/paper will stay with the reamer and not slip off without the shoulder.

Also, I have found that modern reamers and drills are very difficult to keep on center in a barrel, they will tend to wander off and do a disappointing job.  The 18th c armory reamer will certainly stay exactly on center as you smooth the bore.

Jim Everett

« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 12:35:20 AM by James Wilson Everett »

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 06:35:58 PM »
Thanks Jim for the pictures of your reamer set-up but I have a question on the brass connection of the reamer & the drive rod. Do you insert a piece of metal under the half-moon ends of the reamer & drive rod in the brass part to "lock" both together so that they will rotate together?
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 07:07:32 PM »
Guys,

The lantern stock or lantern chuck is a quite common 18th c way of joining a round shank bit to a round stock. It is very often seen on bow drills.  The bit round shank is cut away to half its diameter as shown.  The lantern is drilled on center to the same diameter as the round shank.  Next the center portion of the lantern is cut away until the round shank half will slide in to lock the two parts together.  If you are careful this lock can be quite tight, but even if it is loose it will function to hold the bit as it rotates.  Here are photos of another lantern stock for use with small drill bits.

Here are some photos of an original bow drill with a lantern stock.

[

« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 12:32:05 AM by James Wilson Everett »

dmb25

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 05:23:32 AM »
thanks for all the information this is making a lot more sense now