Author Topic: Lining a hunting pouch  (Read 11893 times)

Offline David R. Pennington

Lining a hunting pouch
« on: July 09, 2015, 04:22:55 AM »
Well I need to make a pouch and I am trying to wrap my head around how to proceed with a cloth lining. I want to line this one with cloth. It will be home tanned deer hide. Do I just sew the lining and stich it in around the top after the bag is done?  T C Albert's great book doesn't cover that aspect.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline G. Elsenbeck

Re: Lining a hunting pouch
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 05:44:11 PM »
Why do the lining?  Most originals DID NOT have linings. 
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 11:41:49 PM »
As stated most originals were not lined, but when i do have to line one i glue the lining around the edges then trim to fit the profile of the bag before i start sewing, this will hold your lining in place.

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 01:15:01 AM »
Ditto the above two replies...
But that being said, what sort of lining material and leather are you planning to use?
tc
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 02:00:35 AM »
The leather is home tanned deer. I am not sure about the lining yet. I have some coarse woven linen, some wool broad cloth and some ticking.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline G. Elsenbeck

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 02:34:54 AM »
Dave what weight of the leather do you have (in thickness) 2 oz, 4oz or heavier??  Refer to the chart in the link below:   If your leather is too thick and then add a lining you will increase the overall weight of the pouch and most likely will not like the end product.  I know you want your all your equipment and accouterments to be well made to last, but adding a lining to your pouch may not be worth all the trouble.  Believe me,  I made a total of 2 pouches with linings and did not like the result.  Too heavy and nothing was in them yet and these were pouches in the 3 - 4 oz thickness (weight) using some ticking. Add the inconvenience of putting something sharp in the pouch only to rip the linings ended up being more trouble/time to repair.  Not my idea of enjoying a day hunt repairing stuff.  Just something to think about. 

http://d31snyb1jsf9xb.cloudfront.net/services/image.aspx/media/images-misc/ThicknessConversion.png-600x
Journeyman in the Honourable Company of Horners (HCH) and a member in the Contemporary Longrifle Association (CLA)

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 03:40:19 AM »
A good friend of mine is a harness maker. He apprenticed at CW, then moved to Ohio to work at the Ohio Historical Society while I was there. He always lines his nicer work with woolen or heavish cloth, and adhears it to the leather with 3M fast tack adhesive. I know it is not PC, but that is what he uses. Possibly back in the day, a hide glue might have been used. At any rate, I have used the same method, and the results are great...No worries about ripping a saggy lining.

Just my 2cents....Dan
The old Quaker, "We are non-resistance friend, but ye are standing where I intend to shoot!"

sloe bear

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 03:48:56 AM »
  I have made several, a couple lined with broad cloth of a period style, the one I have used the longest 30+ years I doubled the front flap for a little extra weight to keep it from riding up and open a real good design I cut the hunters star in the out side flap and used a wool felt as the liner still looks good. I too glued the liners in place on the entire back side of the leather before stitching the bag together.

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 03:59:56 AM »
Well the hide is from a middlin size doe so it is fairly light, thus one of the reasons I was considering lining it.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 05:22:06 AM »
David lining a pouch is a good idea especially if its thin deer hide or a varmint hide of some sort .Just cut your leather out and make the flap and back panel one piece.then cut the front panel .cut your lining to fit but dint stitch it as a turned bag .Use what ever glue you want and add some stitch's where needed on the panels also .I like old seamless seed sacks or hemp or fustian for lining .Hope this helps .Curt

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 04:40:29 PM »
Curt are you saying don't stitch inside out and turn but stich right side out and leave raw edges shown?
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 06:25:34 PM »
Dave, Here's a picture of what I'm talking about.  The bottom two are squirrel hide and groundhog hide pouches.  Both are lined. 

Curt

Offline EricEwing

• https://www.ericewingmaker.com/
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 06:56:34 PM »
When I do line a pouch, sometimes its because whatever comprises the exterior could benefit from an extra layer of thickness.  If the lining is of a thicker and higher thread count type of fabric I will glue it on the inside of the leather panels before stitching. If its rather lightweight and the glue could bleed through I simply stitch it all together along with the outside panels, whether its a turned inside-out or outside stitched pouch.

I like both lined pouches and without, for me it just depends on the pouch and what else it already has going for it. I realize that most believe that original pouches from the muzzleloading era were made without lining and that's fine.  Personally I enjoy working with different materials and textiles can add a lot of character to things.  Just look at the pouches Curt has shown above.  I have seen a few of them in person and the hemp lining looks fantastic with the barktanned leather, and its as durable as a lining could get. On the other hand, a pouch made from excellent cowhide or calfhair with very neat stitching and precision looks great without any lining. I think it just depends on the pouch...

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2015, 11:40:15 PM »
I like lined pouches and have made a ton; but I don't make them anymore as I am concentrating on recreations of simple original bags.    When I did make them,  I made them like a pocket in a pair of pants.    I would stitch up the lining just like a pouch, leaving the raw edges on the outside of the lining/pouch.    The pattern of the lining would be the pattern for the front, back and flap of the actual pouch.  I would stitch it to the front lip of the pouch and to the flap by encapsulating the raw edges under a binding. 

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2015, 03:33:15 AM »
Thanks for all the replies, and thanks for the pictures Curt. I am getting a vision now!
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2015, 11:54:54 PM »
Here is a couple of Curts bags that he made for me that has the lining I think your talking about.

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2015, 12:58:13 PM »
Allen I dont know why you try to hide a nice rifle behind an ugly bag like that .But thanks any way Curt

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2015, 01:42:02 AM »
The fella that made em might be ugly but he shore makes some nice purty bags. I have several different bags made by different makers and the ones that get complimented most are Curts bags and Frank Barkers. Both do outstanding work
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline davebozell

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2015, 03:25:45 AM »
I'm also a big fan of those squirrel and groundhog bags.  They're even more awesome in person.  I'd love to have one as part of my "kit".

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2015, 02:23:02 PM »
Dave  Stop in some time and we can fix you up with one .I have a few on hand right now .Curt

ddoyle

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2015, 10:17:24 PM »
A liner made of material suitable for patching R.B would have merit, especially if it was constructed so it could be cut out when needed. IMHO a hunting pouch is merely a collection of materials temporarily being used to organize/carry some stuff. i.e no strap should be so fine or short that it cannot be used as a tump line, climbing aid or a tourniquet (or ideally braided from twisted cloth that can serve as foot wraps). Stitching stout enough to be used to repair a boot/moccasin, bling/beads valuable enough that they can be traded......

Hard not to love pouches!

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2015, 12:52:34 PM »
  ddoyle I cant imagine cuttin a pouch apart to use it like you are suggesting .Why not carry the items needed in the pouch and save the pouch for its interned purpose .In an emergency i would use my shirt tail for patch's,my belt for a tourniquet ,and I'm too lazy an old to climb trees .A short piece of rope slipped thru your belt loops would work for all you are suggesting.JMHO   Curt
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 12:56:39 PM by Curt Lyles »