Author Topic: cast sheet brass  (Read 12703 times)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Re: cast sheet brass
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2015, 02:57:56 AM »
Mark,

Making that kind of shot is a convenient way to have your scrap so that you can weigh out what you might need for a particular casting, but it isn't necessary.  When I refine gold or silver scrap, I usually make a smelt with all the potential scrap (grindings, polishing sweeps, filings, used abrasive paper, old polishing wheels, etc.) mixed with a very large amount of flux and flour. During the melt all the junk (mostly carborundum) is trapped in the flux and the mixed metal sinks to the bottom.  All the light trash has burned away.  I let that all cool down and then brake the crucible to free the button of metal.  That button is then remelted and poured into shot so that it is much more finely divided for the next step in the process.  The shot is then dissolved chemically, separated into all its individual constituent metals (gold, silver, platinum, palladium, rubidium, etc.) and then those individual metals are re-melted and cast into ingots for further use.  Sometimes I make those now pure metals into shot to make alloying more convenient.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2015, 04:23:38 AM »
I keep all my metal separated, and I never bothered with abrasives, buffing wheels, etc.... Frankly, I never even thought of doing that.   I guess, I could/should do a better job of conserving my silver (I can't afford gold).   I only save brass and silver.    I guess that means that I just need to melt, flux it, and cast shot.   I don't have a need to separate metals.   

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2015, 04:57:01 AM »
Mark,

I only do this because I have to.  The large refining companies tell you they only charge a few % but I have sent scrap with known quantities of precious metals to most of them and they clandestinely took from a third to half of it and then charged me the few %.  So I do all my own refining now and have done it for a lot of miners, dentists, jewelers, etc. over the years.  Si I get a lot of weird, mixed scrap to refine.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780