Author Topic: 1st build finally done  (Read 9765 times)

509thsfs

1st build finally done
« on: July 17, 2015, 04:18:07 AM »
My 1st build. Started this Bedford Co in 45 cal in February. Finally finished it up this evening. Will be a few weeks before I get it on the range. Lot of mistakes, but lot of lessons learned for the next one

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
Re: 1st build finally done
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 04:47:46 AM »
Excellent.

#1 you saw it through.  So many first attempts are unfinished in a closet somewhere, but you finished it.

#2 you admit mistakes and see them as lessons learned.

Congrats. You are well on your way and should be proud.

Coryjoe

Billy52

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 05:41:05 AM »
Awesome job in sticking with it. Where did you obtain all of your parts? Just curious as I am new to this as well.

509thsfs

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 12:34:33 PM »
It was a Track of the Wolf kit

kaintuck

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 02:38:11 PM »
Nice job!.....just reverse that from sight,  ;) it's backwards.

Now, just get out and make some smoke!

Marc n tomtom

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 04:36:49 PM »
Congratulations on a job well done.  You tackled some very difficult challenges in making a Bedford co. your first effort.  I bet it will shoot great.  Don't scrimp on the load development and show us some good targets.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline KC

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 05:19:56 PM »
That looks great. I'm also new to this and am collecting parts for my first attempt. I hope it turns out as nice.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 06:22:53 PM »
Welcome 509thsfs If you would like critiques and suggestions to help with future builds in addition to positive comments it is important to ask for them, otherwise many will not speak up for concern that you might be offended by their opinions...  You can get lots of help here!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

509thsfs

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 10:31:25 PM »
Dang kaintuck, good catch. With all the other parts i was putting together i missed that after polishing it and putting it back on last night. Had it on right originally.

And no Doc, constructive  criticism  don't hurt. Is how to learn. Besides after 30 yr of working in law enforcement work, I'm very thick skinned.  Learning this on my own as best i can since i have no outside help.  Learned a lot on this one, will learn more on the next. 

kaintuck

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 11:44:11 PM »
Dang kaintuck, good catch. With all the other parts i was putting together i missed that after polishing it and putting it back on last night. Had it on right originally.

And no Doc, constructive  criticism  don't hurt. Is how to learn. Besides after 30 yr of working in law enforcement work, I'm very thick skinned.  Learning this on my own as best i can since i have no outside help.  Learned a lot on this one, will learn more on the next. 

;D your TO used to them dang 'plastic gun' sights!!!! ;D as for 30yrs!!!??!!!
wow, I bet you see a difference in the public from then to now!...anyhow, welcome to the madness.......1st comes getting a nice barrel....then 2nd you tell yourself "i'll just get a nice piece of wood, make only ONE rifle............ ::)

marc n tomtom

509thsfs

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2015, 12:28:06 AM »
Yea, I was thinking the same thing. Been doing too much pistol shooting the last year and got used to the ramped sight look.  Thing is I have 2 other flinters to use as a guide and one was right at my right elbow at the time haha.

Offline Glenn

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2015, 03:48:05 AM »
Nice gun.  Good job !!!
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

Offline Bill Ladd

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2015, 03:51:28 AM »
Nice first effort.  Whatcha building next? :D

509thsfs

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2015, 03:48:28 PM »
Next is another Bedford but in 50 cal.  Going to pretty much stick with these. I really like the feel of them.  If I decide I want another 54 cal then I will have to think it over.  Next parts order will be after I go to Dixons gun fair at the end of this month.

The last 15 years I've hunted with a 54 early Lancaster from TVM and have taken a number of deer with it. For 10 years before that I hunted with a 50 cal. (Traditions Pa LR. deadly accurate thing) Took a lot of deer with that 50 with no problem at all. Built this Bedford in 45 because I don't have a 45 and like the lines.  Figured that along with the idea of using it for the early muzzleloading season (where my shots will normally be close), it would also make a nice target rifle for informal matches that I'd like to get back into.

A goal I have is to do another 2-3 more, get better at them, and then make a pretty nice one for my son to have for when I'm gone.  Even if he does not shoot it, it will be something from me. Other than the whole room full of gun cabinets full of firearms I already have haha. This would be something from and built by me to him.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2015, 08:01:41 PM »
You've done a great job - especially for your first one.  I too have a soft spot for the Bedford style, though I've never built one for myself - yet.  TOW's kit looks pretty credible.

Construction advice/tip...pin the forward guard lug through the lock mortise rather than the molding beneath the lock.  That will allow you to slim up the molding a bit more which adds to the grace of the piece.  If the lug seems too short for that, silver solder a piece of brass to it and dress it down to a rectangle, with a bit of taper everywhere.

Thanks for showing us your rifle.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

509thsfs

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2015, 01:00:20 AM »
Well, she works. No parts went flying off. Shoots decent at 25 yds for test fire. Started at 70 gr 3f and worked up to 100 gr 3f in 10 gr increments for test. Nest time will see what she does at 50 yds. Also got lucky, only shoots one inch to the right. Will drift the sights after more load testing.

D. Taylor, I was wondering about that. will take a look on the next one

« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 01:14:13 AM by 509thsfs »

509thsfs

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2015, 02:40:25 AM »
I did not know, but the wife made a little video of me shooting it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGrO1Rs9hnc&feature=youtu.be

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2015, 02:45:24 PM »
Nice shooting!  Just wondering about your load. And assuming you're shooting a round ball. Seems like a heavy load for a .45.  Not sure if you'll be getting much velocity gain after 80 or 90 grains. Mine likes 60-70 grains of FFFG.  Of course every barrel can be a rule unto themselves.
Andover, Vermont

509thsfs

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2015, 02:15:36 AM »
I won't be going over 90 gr.  The 100 gr test loads were more like "proof" loads.  Just make sure all was good at that load.  I'm planning on between 80 - 90 gr., less for target shoot.  When I get time I'll shoot them over the Chrono and see what the difference is. More depends on accuracy. 80 gr showed real good promise. 

If I think I need more oomph, that is what I have "Big Smokey" for (my .54 Early Lanc).

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2015, 04:35:02 AM »
Congrats on getting the first one off the workbench and onto the shooting bench.

I won't be going over 90 gr.  The 100 gr test loads were more like "proof" loads.  Just make sure all was good at that load.  I'm planning on between 80 - 90 gr., less for target shoot.  When I get time I'll shoot them over the Chrono and see what the difference is. More depends on accuracy. 80 gr showed real good promise.  

If I think I need more oomph, that is what I have "Big Smokey" for (my .54 Early Lanc).

Without impact in the target zone there is zero "oomph" no matter the caliber or load.  Accuracy is first in my book.  

Fun is right after that. 8)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 04:40:03 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

509thsfs

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2015, 05:16:24 AM »
And the reason for the statement "more depends on accuracy".

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2015, 02:43:51 AM »
If more powder reduces your accuracy......why use it??
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2015, 11:58:48 PM »
The 45 load I have settled on over the years is 52.5 gr of 3F, or in other words, halfway between the 50 and 55 gr markings on the measure. 65 gr for hunting will punch through both sides of a deer at anything less than 100 yds. Don't know about anything further than that.

509thsfs

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2015, 01:40:22 PM »
Doc, exactly.  Same with my centerfire gun loads.Matter of fact, i can't think of any that I load to "max" No sense in using more if accuracy starts to go to pot.  Since this was the 1st time the rifle was on the range since it was built, it was a shake down. Will find it's load once I get the time.

For the last 3 days I've been  at Dixons Gun builders Fair so I have not had a chance to get it back on the range. Great fair. Picked up some useful info. Especially on locks at a seminar yesterday. Plus my wallet is a bit lighter haha

Pete, thanks for the info. This is my 1st 45, so looking forward to load experimenting.