Author Topic: brass black  (Read 3794 times)

Offline bob hertrich

brass black
« on: July 13, 2015, 03:59:28 PM »
Any hints on using brass black. I am making a Dickert which I want to look like it has a little wear on it.

Offline Chris Treichel

Re: brass black
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 06:35:36 PM »
You can age brass using amonia vapors... place a rag soaked with amonia in the bottom of a bucket suspend the item in the bucket on a bit of wire or some such... cover bucket with a rag. Place whole contraption in a wonderfully warm outdoor environment and let sit for a few hours until desired patina is achieved.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 06:51:17 PM »
Or.... Buy some BC Brass black, and do it all in 15 min.
Apply it, let it work a couple minutes, steel wool off to desired look.......done.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 01:55:13 AM »
Usually most brands of cold blue will also color brass. Apply and then rub back until you get what you want.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 02:40:27 AM »
If you want to just add a bit of patina to brass or silver,  just buy a little bottle of liver of sulfur gel http://www.amazon.com/Stabilized-Sulfur-Patina-Oxidation-ounces/dp/B0034LQFMO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1436830647&sr=8-3&keywords=liver+of+sulphur+gel.   The product is made to do just that.   Just make sure that your metal is completely clean and grease free.  I use just about every corrosive known to man to match a patina, but if you are just aging a new gun a little bit use the liver of sulfur.   It is safe, easy, and controlled.  You can dunk or brush; diluted various amounts.   

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 05:26:41 AM »
Each type of bluing will color a little differently.
Brownells Oxphoblue will turn brass a distinct brown color, not black. Looks nice.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 06:03:31 AM »
I prefer to use a dirty patch from the start of my cleaning regimen;  so it's got a lot of nice black powder residue solution in it.
Rub it on your brass, then next day, re wet it and rub in on again. It should give a nice natural looking patina.

Bwana71

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 08:45:00 PM »
I used regular cold blue on my brass to antique it and it turned out really good. I looked at other options but chose this one for the easy application and if it doesn't turn out the way you want it is easy to get off too.