Author Topic: another brass blackening question  (Read 6642 times)

Offline bjmac

another brass blackening question
« on: July 30, 2015, 09:57:14 AM »
I'm wondering if anyone out there has a different way of blackening brass?
Not just the surface stuff that appears black, but the deep blue-black that almost appears as porcelain- in other words some way to get that color and depth? (needless to say in the home workshop!) 

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
Re: another brass blackening question
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 06:38:56 PM »
Just exactly what are you trying to do?
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Chuck Burrows

• Wild Rose Trading Company
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 07:41:49 PM »
Here's a bunch of recipes for patinas on brass and/or copper of all types of colors http://www.sciencecompany.com/Patinas-for-Metal-Artists.aspx
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

brokenflint

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 11:13:13 PM »
Thanks Chuck

I forgot about that page, has some really interesting stuff there.  I used to have that book marked until the late computer dump  >:(

Offline jerrywh

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 10:44:25 PM »
 Since you won't reply who ever you are, just paint it.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 10:47:05 PM by jerrywh »

Offline bjmac

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 09:03:21 AM »
sorry about the slow reply, but we have some serious wildfire issues happening around here.
In answer to your question, I am trying to get that deep blue-black finish that I see on the barrels and frames that are shown here on the forum.
No, I do not have any desire to paint it. (and I am pretty surprised at that comment from you, Mr. Huddelston)
What I am trying to achieve is a DEEP color finish on the brass parts that is not just a surface treatment, but a long lasting blue-black color.
If it is not possible, then so be it.
I just figured that this was the best place to start the quest.
BJ   

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 02:02:47 PM »
  Not meaning to be a smart a$$, but if you want a lasting deep blue black finish, why not use steel instead of brass and blue it?

Offline jerrywh

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 08:38:17 PM »
bjmac.

I am offended when an anonymous  person asks for advise and when responded to completely ignores someone who  tries to help.  You would get more replies if you identified yourself.  Nobody owes you anything. Replies on this forum are a courtesy.  We never learned this stuff for free. Was your house on fire?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 10:13:35 PM by jerrywh »

Offline bjmac

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 09:27:43 AM »
LRB- The parts I am speaking of are already in brass, so I want to try to finish it black. The part that I am referring to is the brass frame of a revolver (Colt 1860)
Jerrywh- I am not "an anonymous person"- I'm a member of this forum and I have my profile posted (along with my e-mail address) I don't expect anything other than the same type of answers that anyone else gets when asking a sincere, honest question. In answer to your question: No my house was not/is not on fire. But is 50 feet away enough to earn your attention so as to not be offended? By the way, I asked for advice, not advise.

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 01:37:49 PM »
  You might consider having it black chrome plated, although the originals were color case hardened.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 04:26:55 PM »
  I would not invest a lot of time in a brass framed revolver, just for starters. When shot with even moderate loads They often shoot loose and get out of time. In any event they are not worth investing time, and money, in. Nothing I know of will give you a durable finish like the one you describe.

Hungry Horse

Offline jerrywh

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 07:27:59 PM »
bjac
 A lot of misunderstanding takes place on the internet. No body on either side of a conversation knows the situation of the other. This causes a lot of wrong impressions. In my opinion this is one of those cases. Please accept my apology.
  There is no way that I am aware of to make brass look like black steel. there is a brass blackening chemical. In the old days it was called liver of sulfur. Rio Grande jewelers supply sells it. It will turn  the part black but the times I have used it the stuff doesn't look or stay that way very long. It could be plated but is not economical.   

Offline bjmac

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 05:31:15 AM »
LBB - can brass be cch?
Hungry horse- thanks for the response. I am aware of the limitations of the brass framed revolvers, and I agree with your assessment. I was just looking for some hints as to the cosmetics (as this would ultimately be a display piece - a wall hanger)
Jerry- I accept your apology and I say to you: "Kudos for being a real man and making the apology"
Not only do I accept it, I want you to know that I thought that your responses were due to the "internet gap".
Sincerely, thank you for your time and consideration in the response.
BJ

PKLeRay

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 09:52:57 AM »
All I use to age any brass is some patches that are dirtied up and caked with burnt blackpowder.  It does one $#*! of a good job.

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 01:36:58 PM »
  No. Only iron/steel can be color cased. For just display, you could color it with Birchwood Casey's brass black, then a coat of spray lacquer over it for shine if needed.