Author Topic: A little help from the experts please  (Read 13649 times)

brokenflint

Re: A little help from the experts please
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2015, 03:52:04 PM »
Bill   So what was your final conclusion on what caused the issue of the split?

Offline Bill Ladd

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2015, 11:35:02 PM »
Bill   So what was your final conclusion on what caused the issue of the split?

Here's what I think:

Stock swelling from taking finish -- 10%

Very slight increase in barrel dimension from rust browning -- 5%

Not running a drill through the hole to clear stain, wax and etc... -- 15%

Ham-fisted craftsmanship (not clearing the hole of stain and wax and not assuring proper alignment before forcing the pin through) -- 114.5%

;) ;)

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2015, 04:42:00 PM »
Remember that your barrel lugs should have elongated holes in them.  If the pin gets pushed off track in the fore/aft direction, like yours, this suggests that the pin hole is not slotted.  When you start shooting that gun the barrel will warm-up and expand but the stock won't.  Your point of impact will go down as you shoot and the stress on the stock will cause another split.

You would be well-advised to avail yourself of some of the books on gun-building.

Best Regards,

John Cholin

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2015, 06:26:06 PM »
I think you hit the nail on head Bill, no pun intended.......They NEVER go back together right after finishing....Clear tang area, lock & pin holes First..... ;D  Very good first time out.   I keep my 1st one in a closet so no one can accidentally see it...really......Tom

Offline Bill Ladd

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2015, 07:06:46 PM »
I think you hit the nail on head Bill, no pun intended.......They NEVER go back together right after finishing....Clear tang area, lock & pin holes First..... ;D  Very good first time out.   I keep my 1st one in a closet so no one can accidentally see it...really......Tom

Tom - based on that work-of-art squirrel rifle you built me, I can't help but think you're stretching the truth a bit about your first one!

Truth be told, this is my third effort.  I built a CVA flintlock pistol and "Kentucky" rifle from kits when I was a kid - 40 some-odd years ago  ;D .

That being said, all the resources here at ALR,  along with the four great books I have on building (that I've read cover-to-cover a number of times - and yes my barrel lug holes are elongated), make it so very easy to go for reference.  Not like the olden days when we were sending smoke signals to our neighbors over to the next ridge.

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2015, 11:15:14 PM »
I'm not stretching anything----I'll say one thing ......  When I put the lock in her and screwed in the side bolt, THE LOCK WOULD NOT COCK...... because I'd drilled the hole too low across the wood, and mainspring stopped against the bolt....Now it has a side plate shaped like an old fashioned coffin, to bury that mistake, one of many. Did I mention that I have quite a few degrees from the school of hard knocks ?........Tom