Author Topic: Staking a rear sight  (Read 4962 times)

Offline rjpalmer

Staking a rear sight
« on: August 11, 2015, 09:18:40 AM »
What are some of the methods used to tighten up a loose rear sight on an octagon barrel. My rear sight is quite loose in the dovetail. It moves with just finger pressure. My rifle is an unfired Jack Garner TVM. Thanks 

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
Re: Staking a rear sight
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 02:20:09 PM »
    You have several options.  You can remove the sight and slightly expand the brass base by using a square punch and striking down on the top of the base material while resting it on an steel block.  With the sight removed you can slightly hammer down the edges of the dovetail.  You can use a good sized nail set and punch in a decorative circle at each end juncture of the sight and the dovetail.  This was recently pictured in the photos of a Schreckengost rifle by Wes Sink.  Of course if you are a masochist you could make a completely new sight with a slightly larger base.....Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline EC121

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 03:18:22 PM »
Punching the corners is the easiest.  Or order another sight with a longer base then file it to fit snugly in the dovetail.  An alternate would be to drill and tap the sight for a 4-40 set screw to make it adjustable.   Don't punch the bottom of the dovetail.  It can distort the bore.  I had a barrel that had a tight spot right under the back sight from someone punching the dovetail.  Didn't find it til way after the trade.  Depends on the wall thickness you have under it.  
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 07:06:08 PM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 04:14:24 PM »
I have had a few that were lose enough to need attention and on at least two of them I tinned the bottom of the sight with soft solder. Just that thin layer of solder was enough to make it tighten up when I drove the sight back in.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 06:27:56 PM »
 There are at least 4 or 5 ways to fix it. Put a drop of solder on the bottom of the sight.  or take a sharp punch and put a few punch marks on the barrel in the bottom of the dove tail. Or put an iron inlay in the bottom of the dove tail. Locktite. There are more. Brownels sells a locktite I think it's called 360 black. it is so good that modern gun makers use it to put sight bases on modern gun barrels. If used correctly it will hold. 
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 06:39:40 PM »
If your rifle is unfired, you might only want to tighten it up enough keep it from moving during sighting in.  If you anchor it too tight now it will be difficult to drift it slightly for windage adjustment.  After it's sighted in you can use a nail set at each end juncture of the sight and dovetail as Ron suggested.   Just a thought.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline rjpalmer

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 07:49:54 AM »
I thank everyone for their replies. I am going to purchase a new sight and fit it. If that doesn't work out, black Loctite will be used.Thanks all.

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 04:54:22 PM »
I don't know if this is how the problem arose, but I have stopped ordering barrels with the dovetails cut.  For whatever reason, precut dovetails always seem to be too big, when used with precast sights.  I guess God wants us to make our own sights, cut our own dovetails, or both.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 07:09:40 PM »
 When parts are cast they shrink about 3% to 7%. Sometimes this shrinkage is not compensated for in the process. On a 3/8" sight base this is about .011".  When I get a sight that is loose like that I turn it upside down on top of the vise with the blade between the jaws and hammer the base to expand it. It is easy to gain .011".   
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 02:49:52 PM »
Place a cold chisel across the top barrel flat just behind the rear dovetail. Give it a good whack and tell everyone it is a "decorative" molding.

Offline yulzari

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 03:28:09 PM »
I tightened a slack dovetail with a sliver of aluminium window blind and a loose tumbler/hammer fit with strips of aluminium beer can between the tumbler square and hammer square. Not only works but invisible and reversible.
Nothing suceeds like a beakless budgie