Author Topic: Newest completion, not yet shot but it feels good... A few more photos  (Read 12576 times)

Offline Mick C

WOW!!  That is one gorgeous rifle!  Oh how I envy those of you'all with this kind of talent.  My hat is off to you, sir.....Mick C
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
I love the color and the fit you achieved with both metal and wood.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
Re: Newest completion, not yet shot but it feels good... A few more photos
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2015, 04:38:48 AM »
Beautiful, graceful an well executed. I'm jealous. Great job

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2015, 03:12:20 PM »
Jeff, like everything I've seen of yours, excellent workmanship! How did you finish the metal parts? I feel like the one on my bench has been there almost 30 years. I get very little shop time these days. What time running a small business doesn't eat up, help with remodeling my daughter's house, moving my other daughter halfway across the country, moving my father in law....,. My wife and I have lived in the same house for 31 years and have moved 30 times. We sat down and added up all the times we have moved in- laws, relatives, children in and out of college dorms and apartments etc...,.
I think I have only made one shooting match this year! I had to miss the CLA show this year. The only week we could get everyone together for vacation. I thought I could slow down a little by the time I got this old.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2015, 08:03:19 PM »
David,

Sorry for the delay in answering your question.  I hadn't looked at the site for few days.

The first step of the metal finishing was with Homer Dangler's browning solution.  A good number of coats ( and I could have used more) applied as directed, but with out any carding between coats.  My plan was to get some fine pitting going on the surface but I probably should have let it go a little longer.

Next I used scotchbrite to remove the brown from the high spots and soften some sharp corners.
This leaves some of the metal essentially bare or bright (with some very light pitting if I had let the browning solution work a little longer).

Finally I used some brass darkening solution, that Jim Kibler has talked about in the past, over all the steel surfaces (in addition to brass, it darkens steel almost like cold blue) and then brushed it back with a very fine wire wheel (from Brownell's) spun in my drill press.

The lock was not browned; just finished with brass darkening solution and the wire wheel.

I'm still experimenting with the process.  I liked the effect in some areas and not so much in others...  but on to the next one!

Thanks again for the compliments.

My secret is all about copying people with good taste.  ;D

Jeff

There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Willbarq

« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2015, 07:33:21 AM »
I am continually impressed by the people on this board.