Author Topic: American Flask & Cap - powder flask  (Read 8872 times)

Offline bones92

• I'm broke, and I blame Mike Brooks!
American Flask & Cap - powder flask
« on: July 30, 2015, 12:16:36 AM »
Is it possible to get an idea of when this powder flask was likely produced?  What little I've found seems to indicate it could be from the 1850s through the 1870s.

It is not a perfect specimen by any means, but it was included with a period percussion Kentucky rifle I acquired.  It was repaired along the way, and it looks to have been used plenty!

If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: American Flask & Cap - powder flask
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 01:07:00 AM »
They were established in Waterbury CT in 1857 so you are likely on the right track for time frame.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 01:15:11 AM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline bones92

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 01:16:15 AM »
Thanks, Shreckmeister.  I wonder if there are old catalogue images online that might indicate when this particular pattern was made?   Either way, it's a neat relic of the past, and as far as I can tell, it's quite functional.  I may have to replace the cord, though... it looks like a shoe-lace, and it's much too short.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 01:30:42 AM »
 There was a reprint of a catalog for Nathaniel Curry and Brother, from San Francisco.  The reprint was from some time in the 1960's, I believe. I believe the original catalog was from sometime in the 1880's. It had a couple of pages of powder flasks, some very similar to this one. I have the reprint somewhere. By the way, this style of flask was primarily a shotgun flask.

Hungry Horse

Offline bones92

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 06:59:13 AM »
What denotes this as a shotgun flask?     Thanks for input, as always. :)

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 05:20:52 PM »
  Shotgun flasks most often have adjustable spouts, of large diameter. Unlike today, the old timers quite often loaded straight from the flask without a powder measure. The adjustable spouts on these flasks allowed for them to not only be used for powder, but a second flask could be used for shot as well. Their thin copper, or brass, bodies, with soft soldered seams gave little resistance if the powder ignited, and produced little or no shrapnel to worry about.
 This example is in remarkably good condition. They are often quite battered from years in the field, or long neglect.

Hungry Horse

Offline RAT

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 05:53:47 PM »
Shotgun?

The opinion of this non-expert is that the spout measuring positions of 1,2,3 are drams. I'm guessing that would indicate use with a shotgun.
Bob

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 06:19:28 PM »
I have several flasks with this pattern on them and the information that Schrecmeister has given is pretty much on target. These are a fairly common flask and as said is often found in much worse condition, as well as better condition. They are a later product and consequently many didn't see much use as the shotshell and cartridge were both being used before and during the turn of the century era. Much good information, and many pictures, can be found in Riling's book "The Powder Flask Book". There were so many flasks made in Europe as well as the United States during this period that there are entire collections made up of the many styles, variations and companies that made them.
Mark
Mark

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 06:42:52 PM »
bones92,

For reference, Riling's The Powder Flask Book flask #276 appears to be identical to your flask. The text notes that "...the throat decoration of a deep shouldered wave, with a single dot impression in each pendant swell" characterizes  American Flask & Cap Company's style.  

Bill
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 06:47:39 PM by Bill-52 »

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 09:53:38 PM »
bones92; Good afternoon. Sir, I would like to make a correction on the identification of your shotgun flask. "THE POWDER FLASK BOOK", by RAY RILING. On page # 287, chapter XV. Page #279 paragraph 3, text reference. The predecessor of American Flask Co., "Frary Benham & Co. also used shouldered wave with a single dot impression. Note: flask # 276 has only (2) two cord attachments, your flask has at one time in its life had (4) four. Missing (1) one currently. I believe your flask in question is a # 287 page 284, American Flask Co. My date time frame is 1870 -1890's. Still working on a more definitive dating period. AL.
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 12:09:04 AM »
alyce-james, Good catch.  I agree with you.  Thanks, Bill

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 12:30:46 AM »
Bill-52; good afternoon. Sir, I forgot to mention I believe flask # 276 is also smaller than flask # 287. Have a great week end. AJ. 
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline bones92

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2015, 02:41:43 PM »
Many thanks to everyone. This is why I like this forum; a wealth of information and experience.

ddoyle

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2015, 09:26:14 AM »
I have the mate to it but I guess mine is missing the third eyelet. Mine is marked differently with American Flask Pat. 1878 not on the top by the spring but on the band below the spring.