Author Topic: Need some help  (Read 2257 times)

Offline rmcgowan

• Starting Member
Need some help
« on: September 10, 2015, 11:03:34 PM »
Working on my first build ( Chambers pre-carve) and all was going well until this morning when I broke a 1/16" drill bit off in the stock while drilling the barrel tenon pin holes. I had drilled through one side and marked the tenons , removed barrel and drilled the holes through the tenons and figured I was in the clear until bit broke off. The bit is about a 1/8 " below the surface. Any suggestions on how to remove it without destroying the stock?

Thanks

Bob

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
Re: Need some help
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 12:07:19 AM »
The barrel is not in the gun?and  you have the hole  drilled thru one side and started in from the other side when it broke.Can you drill in from the side already drilled to try and meet the other hole  then take one of the pins come in from the outside and gently push the bit thru?is any of the bit above wood to try and get something on it to remove it?I'm sure someone here with firsthand been there and done that knowledge will chime in soon

Offline rmcgowan

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 12:26:44 AM »
Joe S

Barrel is in the stock. I had drilled through one side to make the tenons, then removed the barrel drilled through the tenons and replaced the barrel. I was going to drill through the hole I had drilled, through the hole in the tenon and out the other side when the drill broke off . The had not gone through the other side when it broke and now the broken end is about an 1/8 inch below the surface. I will have to try drilling through the other side and meeting the bit and attempting to at least push it out to where I can get a needle nose on it.

Thanks
Bob

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 12:32:03 AM »
does appear to be your only option, hang in there abit the folks on here have lots of wisdom and may have tricks of the trade to help you out.

Offline rmcgowan

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 04:29:33 PM »
Disaster averted! I was able to drive enough out from the opposite side to grab it with needle nose.

Thanks

Bob