Author Topic: Gift to grandson  (Read 7208 times)

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
Gift to grandson
« on: September 02, 2015, 03:17:29 AM »
In 1971 I bought this .45 Navy Arms co. "Kentucky" rifle.  Well after going thru me & 3 son's sort a needed a makeover.
So I pulled it apart and stocked it in a block of walnut, it was walnut originally. 6 lb. As he's 6 Y.O. and can shoot a .22 off bench very well we going to break him in Sat. with 15-20 gr. load off bench or X-sticks....only 6 and already own's 2 rifles....Another generation shot to the dog's.....Tom
Click to see few more....

Offline PPatch

Re: Gift to grandson
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 03:28:48 AM »
A young boy would be very pleased to own that. Good job! Let us know how he does.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Swampwalker

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 05:23:17 PM »
Great restock - he should be a happy kid! 
The gun looks very much like the first muzzleloader I ever hefted at age 10 or so, the one that set the hook. 

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 03:50:40 AM »
Lucky Lad, good for you both!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 04:48:28 AM »
Get him a .22

The basic Henry is a nice, light lever-action rifle

Somebody makes a child-size bolt action, stainless

There are a lot of ways to make a serious mistake loading a muzzle-loader.

Take care of your own flesh & blood

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 04:04:10 PM »
Guys, please refrain from posting about modern arms. Below are our rules for topics here on ALR
Dennis

Allowable topics are:

1.  The building or recreation of custom side lock muzzle loading sporting arms that would have been made or used in North America between 1607 and 1898.

2.  The study and collecting of custom side lock muzzle loading sporting arms as defined in item 1.

3.  The shooting of custom side lock muzzle loading sporting arms as defined in item 1.

4.  The historical and cultural setting for the manufacture and use of custom side lock muzzle loading sporting arms as defined in item 1.    

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 09:48:28 PM »
Get him a .22

The basic Henry is a nice, light lever-action rifle

Somebody makes a child-size bolt action, stainless

There are a lot of ways to make a serious mistake loading a muzzle-loader.

Take care of your own flesh & blood
gunmaker

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:31:24 AM »    
He has a tack driver .22 Kelly, a single shot bolt gun that has to be manually cocked. Marlin glenfield, mine since I was a kid.
   None a my 5 kid's loaded OR primed at 6,  all they do is sit on chair at bench--period
   Me or his father loads, & primes for them, and will for quite sometime...
   No I'm sorry or oop's ! allowed in shooting.  I was a rifle coach & range officer in USMC...safety is the rule......Tom
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 04:05:26 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 01:17:39 AM »
OK, sorry. I thought it much more polite than to ask him whatever was he thinking.
Muzzle loading guns to not fit contemporary ideas of safety. They are built by those who are outstanding carvers & engravers. They are also amateurs at making something as deadly as a "machine to throw balls"

I have some idea how popular are my views. Still, alone late at night one might want to mull over whether he wants to get his kids into this. Never ever admit this of course, just a thought for oneself. 

Offline J Henry

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 03:47:53 AM »
  If we are safe enough,healthy enough, long enough   we can die of nothing.. Be careful  but I am not setting with my hands in my lap, drinking bottled water and eating Tofu,,,,
   Teach them the correct way and let the cards fall where they may...more chance of getting hurt/killed saddling you horse and hooking up the wagon and heading for town,,,
 Leaving like we showed up,,naked and cold,,, till then live every second...with in reason!!!!

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 04:24:02 AM »
J Henry, I like your way of thinking.

Gunmaker, good on you.  Start 'em early, start 'em right. 

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Kermit

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 06:15:54 PM »
My daughter started at 5, over a bench, supervised, with me loading. Help them learn.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 02:26:45 AM »
Look at my OP where I stated that the boy is 6 yr. old.
  5-1/2 yr. in USMC sort a instilled in me solid ideas on gun safety.
  All five of our children started at 5-7 either on bench or X-sticks where I load & wait for prime until sites are on target & finger is OFF trigger.
 This is a great sport for families--we wore out a 20 foot lodge going to rondy's & camping.
 I have never seen an accident on range with kid's---YET, close supervision is the only way.
 .....Tom

Forrest

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2015, 02:44:49 AM »
Good for you Tom keep teaching the next generation and our ways will live on

Forrest

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2015, 12:56:24 AM »
If it doesn't work out you can adopt me. Not only am I safe with firearms Im handy with the chores.

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2015, 05:12:46 AM »
How much do you eat?  squirrel pizza hard to come by around here... :P :P

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2015, 11:12:55 AM »
You supply the woods, I'll supply the squirrels. As far as teaching the youngsters go, I don't know who is having more fun, them or us. It does my heart more good than medicine to see them learn and grow.be it figuring out how to knap a flint or figuring out a home work math problem, when that light comes on in their eye and they "get it" I can't help but feel good about ME. Like I'm doing something right. If I had my way I'd keep my daughter with me at least till she turned 30, but obviously that's not gonna happen. These life lessons we share will stay with us in our old age, if we do it right they will stay with our kids into their old age. If we don't teach them who will?

Clifton Hicks

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2015, 02:54:52 PM »
That's the best gift he will ever receive. Seems, to me, like a very safe way to start out a young shooter--and there could be no better way to indoctrinate him with all the fundamentals.

Offline tlallijr

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2015, 02:03:42 AM »
Very nice Tom, hope you and your grandson have lots of fun with it !!