Author Topic: Dark (black?) stain for maple  (Read 14110 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Dark (black?) stain for maple
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2015, 01:28:29 AM »
Try medium brown shoe dye

I think you will find the color as dark as you want it.
Maybe for me but not the person paying for the rifle, he wants NO brown or red's in the color ;D
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2015, 03:29:11 AM »
I was working on a hunting bag and had a pint of apple cider vinegar that I had loaded about 3/4 full with rusty nails etc..,. I had put it on the shelf several months ago and all but forgot about it. The lid was rusted on so I had to open it with a can opener. It stained the bark tanned leather a blue / black. The next day I looked at the scrap of cherry wood that I stirred it with and it is almost black. I sanded it some to see how deep the stain penetrated and it was very deep. I didn't try it on maple but it sure turned the cherry black.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline heinz

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2015, 03:41:14 AM »
Dennis, I use lamp black in  linseed oil and turpentine. When I want to shortcut i use artist oil paint in black, the good grades will be lampblack (or carbon black) in linseed oil and thin it 1 part paint to 4 parts artist grade turpentine.  A very authentic finish.  You can go wth more oil if you want to stain and finish at the same time.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 02:49:10 PM by heinz »
kind regards, heinz

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2015, 06:20:58 PM »
Dennis,
I don't understand your problem.   :)  I use Waukon Bay and almost every stock I do turns out almost black and sanding it back doesn't lighten it up any, it just removes it.  However, only if you take the guns out into the bright sunlight can you see the figure in the wood.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2015, 06:32:59 PM »
 Dennis;

Google ebonizing, and you will find what you are looking for. It an old process, used on furniture and other wood products for centuries.

Hungry Horse

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2015, 06:55:19 PM »
Dennis,
I don't understand your problem.   Smiley  I use Waukon Bay and almost every stock I do turns out almost black and sanding it back doesn't lighten it up any, it just removes it.  However, only if you take the guns out into the bright sunlight can you see the figure in the wood.
I had one bottle of Waukon Bay a good while back. I used it all up and I can never remember it giving a totally black look, dark yes but not without brown or reddish tints. Possibly it was the wood I used it on. I liked it, just started using my own or friends home brewed AquaFortis.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline PPatch

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2015, 07:51:44 PM »
Dennis;

What you need is India Ink from an art store. But not just any brand will do, you need Speedball brand from an art store or calligraphy supply store. Dick Blick art supply also sells a high quality India Ink. India Ink will turn any wood dead black and it doesn't take a lot either. India ink has shellac in it (to make it dry quicker) so be warned of that. Those two brands of India Ink are also an archival black, they aren't going to fade like other wood dyes or shoe polishes.

Try it, experiment with it, I think you'll find it makes a quite acceptable black as midnight black.

dave
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 07:52:35 PM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2015, 08:39:09 PM »
5:1 Ferric Nitrate.... coat let dry, blush...do it again...... it will be nearly black......when you apply Chambers oil finish.  You can always add black spray paint between coats of finish  :o ;D ;D
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2015, 04:12:56 AM »
Am no expert. But used black an deep dark brown leather dye. From shoe repair shops. It has not faded after useing the gun for over 20 years.Am very satisfied with how it's held up. But it also is not a historical correct method. But it is very dark but it still shows the curl in the maple. Just a thought.

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2015, 03:54:51 AM »
old -What Brand of shoe dye??

Offline dogcatcher

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2015, 04:27:49 AM »
Fiebing's Leather Dye

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2015, 09:11:32 PM »
 Feibing's tends to fade if exposed to sun light. Lincoln's is more consentrated, and usually cheaper. The problem is, you almost have to find a shoe repair shop to get it.

Hungry Horse

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2015, 09:16:48 PM »
If you want to take the easy way out, go to the hardware store and get a 1/2 pint of Minwax, oil-based ebony stain.
It'll soak into the wood well and is compatible with whatever oil finish you plan to use.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline PPatch

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2015, 09:17:43 PM »
So Dennis; What did you end up using to obtain your black black (no reds or browns showing)?

dave

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2015, 02:01:31 AM »
I had to quit working on this rifle to get some other pressing issues completed! Hopefully I will get back on it soon. I plan on first using Ferric Nitrate (because I have some and have not tried it) and it that's not dark enough (doubt it will be) I will use black Fieberling leather dye.
Dennis

Offline PPatch

« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2015, 03:15:51 AM »
Thanks for the update, I was interested in how she came out, guess I'll have to wait...  :)

The Ferric Nitrate will act just like AQ, I mix mine with alcohol (dries faster). You are right though, you will need the shoe dye because even getting the stock as dark as it will go you'll still see brown under everything once the finish goes on. She will look pretty dark in the shop but once you take it out in daylight you'll readily see the brown tones lurking underneath.

dave

Offline dogcatcher

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2015, 03:47:01 AM »
A trick a leatherworker taught me to get deep black with leather dye is to dye it first with Fiebing's dark blue dye.  Let it dry and then dye with Fiebings USMC Black.  I made a belt years ago, he looked at it and said, you did not use the dark blue, he was correct. 

Jim Kibler used a tannin powder with the ferric nitrate to get a darker look.  I remember I could not find the same tannin powder he used so I picked up some wine tannin powder from a local winemaker.  I mixed the powder with DNA and tried it on some maple, darker but I did not get black.