Author Topic: Clay Smith Smootbores  (Read 3770 times)

Offline Frank

Clay Smith Smootbores
« on: September 21, 2015, 06:47:32 AM »
What is everyones opinion of Clay Smith's Trade gun kits? I am looking to build a smoothbore and am interested in either an English or French Trade gun. I am not new to gun building and have built over 30 Rifles and Smoothbores over the years. Thanks

http://www.claysmithguns.com/Kits.htm
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 06:56:43 AM by Frank »

Offline KLMoors

Re: Clay Smith Smootbores
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 01:48:53 PM »
I haven't built one, but I've handled several different versions of them and they feel great at the shoulder.  You'd have to check with Clay, but I think you can get them with differing levels of hardware.  I've wanted to take one of those kits and make a little fancier "chief's gun" version of it.

I have done a few of Clay's other kits and they went together fine.   Like Track's kits, all of the inlets are a little undersized so you'll need to do some trimming to get the parts to fit.

Clay has sold a bunch of guns for me and he has always treated me fairly.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 01:49:41 PM by KLMoors »

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 02:22:21 PM »
Sounds like you have the skill to complete his kits. I'm building a type G from a blank using his patterns for the furniture. I've picked his brains about certain aspects of these guns and he's been very generous with imparting his knowledge to me. Just reading how everyone likes there type G's made me want to try one. This is going to be one light and slender longarm. I think you'll be more than happy.
Conquerordie

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 09:23:04 PM »
I agree, Clay is good to work with and though I have not built one of his kits the ones I have seen looked great.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline alex e.

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 03:49:05 AM »
The lock for the French gun is incorrect.
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 05:57:09 PM »
I built one of the English trade guns for a friend and it turned out very well and shot very well.

Coryjoe