Author Topic: re cut a Ed Rayl barrel  (Read 6515 times)

Offline yip

re cut a Ed Rayl barrel
« on: September 20, 2015, 09:43:34 PM »
  i have a 46" Ed Rayl barrel in 50 cal, was wondering if i could have it bored out and rifled to 54 cal to make her a little lighter, if its logical .

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: re cut a Ed Rayl barrel
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 09:56:59 PM »
Money ahead by buying a new one and selling the existing.

Maybe saves time, too.

A lot of this time and money saving is dependent upon work schedules and availability of a skilled barrelsmith.

For a rebore, I'd pick Bob Hoyt. I would only consider a rebore if the barrel was already inlet and pinned.

If it's sitting on your bench unused, definitely buy new, and sell yours.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 10:01:09 PM by Acer Saccharum »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline yip

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 11:25:33 PM »
   acer; thanks for the reply, barrel is on my old rifle, its pinned, flash hole drilled the whole spill. i just need a lighter rifle as i'm getting long in the tooth. its tapered  and flared if that means anything...............yip

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 01:34:05 AM by yip »

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 11:35:23 PM »
 How about just cutting 8-10 inches off, that will reduce the weight and make it easier to handle. Just a thought

Tim C.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 02:55:59 AM »
Is it a C profile swamped ?  Depends on the dimensions at the narrowest part of the barrel as to whether you can have it bored out or not .   Standard "B" weight goes to .50 cal , "C" weight goes to .54 etc
The 46 inch barrels are different than the 42 in profiles, so I would look on a comparable maker's website for the appropriate barrel and see what they offer cal. wise in your barrel profile. Boring out to .54 may not be an option.

Offline yip

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 02:11:22 PM »
does anyone know if Ed Rayl is still around? if so how can one communicate

Offline Ray Barbarow

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 02:53:21 PM »
I saw him last month at the Harmony gun show. His phone number is 304-364-8269. He is a one man operation and due to equipment noise be sure to let the phone ring.

Offline yip

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 03:36:39 PM »
 hi Ray; how you doing? hey thanks for the reply, i'll try to give him a ring. i'm trying to get this new rifle done but its a fight. hope to see you soon, if things go right we'll try the 200 yd shoot next month, we got new targets to try, hope to see you there.................yip

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 08:56:50 PM »
yip;

The short answer is it ain't logical. Buy a new barrel. I personally don't think you're really going to notice much difference by just going from .50 cal. To .54 cal. Without shortening the barrel.

Hungry Horse

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 04:08:43 AM »
I'm tellin ya, Bob Hoyt's the rebore man. Especially with the sights and lugs installed.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

eddillon

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 04:15:58 AM »
does anyone know if Ed Rayl is still around? if so how can one communicate

He is shipping a bronze  (brass) pistol barrel to me this week.  Waited a long time.  I know that it will be worth the wait.
My second Rayl pistol barrel.  Best is snail mail and phone.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 08:06:58 PM »
Yip
Chris Laubach just reposted a .54 Rayl barrel in the 4 sale section.  Previous buyer backed out.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline yip

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 08:22:09 PM »
  after thunking it a bit over i guess its better just ta leave it alone, and stick it in a corner.i don't know how much of a weight different it will be,even at 58 cal. it is a d weight barrel and it would be possible to go that caliber. does anybody know how to contact Bob Hoyt? maybe he can shed some light on it.............yip
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 01:16:07 AM by yip »

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 08:38:49 PM »
Yip,

According the the weight specs for Rice barrels on TOW, if you had your D profile .50 rebored to .54, the weight savings would ony be a shade over a 1/4 pound.  Even reboring to .58 is only going to save around a half pound.

You need one of the lighter swamped profiles.

If you want a light-weight deer rifle, build one around a B profile in .50 caliber.  Mine is a 38" and I love it.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 11:58:39 PM »
Yip,

According the the weight specs for Rice barrels on TOW, if you had your D profile .50 rebored to .54, the weight savings would ony be a shade over a 1/4 pound.  Even reboring to .58 is only going to save around a half pound.

You need one of the lighter swamped profiles.

If you want a light-weight deer rifle, build one around a B profile in .50 caliber.  Mine is a 38" and I love it.

-Ron

Ron's advice is spot on.  I also built a rifle for hunting deer and hogs that is a 38" B profile in .50 caliber and find it to be a good choice.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Hank*in*WV

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2015, 12:56:08 AM »
Yip, that new build I showed you last month was a B weight 50. That should give you some idea of the weight.
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline yip

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2015, 01:25:02 AM »
 Hank; thanks for the reply,the rifle i'm talking about is BIG RED darn thing weighs as much as me , with a D profile and 46" long,l its like holding a fire plug out there. i built that bout 30 years ago. darn thing shoots great but that darn weight is tiring. guess i'll just leave it alone, it don't eat much sitting in the corner..............yip