Author Topic: lubricating grease  (Read 3311 times)

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
lubricating grease
« on: September 22, 2015, 04:56:52 PM »
Hi,
I am finishing up a swivel breech rifle.  The swivel mechanism was made by Dave Price and is a precision-made gem.  The central pivot involves a thick cylindrical collar fitting into a thick walled sleeve.  The fit is very precise but it seems like a good application for grease. I don't use greases on my guns but this time a lubricant that lasts a long time seems to be a good idea.  I don't want the owner to have to disassemble the swivel action very often for cleaning or lubrication.  Do any of you have a recommendation for a long lasting grease?  I used to pack bearings on my road racing bicycle all the time but that was long ago and I am sure there are some new compounds that are very good.  Thanks for the help.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline PPatch

Re: lubricating grease
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 05:14:33 PM »
Lithium grease would be my choice. Lucas Oil Red-N-Tacky would be the product I would use. A thin application to both surfaces will last and last and it is very slick, it will protect from rust and moisture. An auto store or one of the big box stores should have it, not all that expensive for a small tube or container which you could give to the client.

Here is a quote from a gun forum of an individual who tested the lithium greases: "The Lucas Oil “Red-N-Tacky” is by far the stickiest grease of all the ones I tested. It certainly was correctly named. This grease stays put the best of all. It is easy to apply with your fingers, or else one of those stamped metal handled “acid brushes”. I found this product to last the longest of any grease I tested. One application should last an entire range session for all but the most demanding high round count shooters. It also remained the thickest on hot parts like AR-15 and AK-47 bolts."

dave
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 05:18:04 PM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 05:38:47 PM »
Another vote for Red-N-Tacky. Excellent product for extreme applications in my experience.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 06:40:09 PM »
 I am a firm believer in Perma-tex superlube. It is clear, has teflon in it, and is actually food grade. A thin film of this stuff, will do the job, and not transfer color to other things.
 I keep a tube of this grease in my shooting box, just because I have been on the range so many times, and had new shooters with dry locks have "mechanical breakdowns". A little superlube has saved the day more than once.

Hungry Horse

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 03:43:32 AM »
I use one of the synthetic greases for firearms they are lighter viscosity than the typical grease. Just a very little on the pivot it will spread some anyway.
I also use synthetic motor oil such as 0w30 for the locking pin(s). Grease works good on frizzen spring contacts too.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 04:25:40 PM »
Hi,
Thank you Dan, Don, Dave, and HH!!  You have given me some great information.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 09:52:32 PM »
Dave, I would use RIG, super slippery and stays on the metal, heck you have to really scrub with good soap to get it off your hands.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 12:07:36 AM »
molybdenum sulfide bearing grease will stay on a very long time. I have a tube from Dow Corning in my shop