Author Topic: Band saw  (Read 6972 times)

n stephenson

Re: Band saw
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2017, 04:44:28 PM »
Ron W when I said went through I mean , wore out, tore up , etc. . One of them had the motor go out , on the other one the  flimsy cast zinc or whatever it was made of top guide holder broke. Those saws just don`t hold up . Cutting one or two stocks is one thing , those two saws probably cut no more than 60 gunstock blanks apiece before being junk. Which really isn't that bad for as cheaply as they are made . My Rockwell has cut more than both of them and, still cuts very good..When it comes to bandsaws  theres a lot of difference between cutting thin stuff and cutting a hard dense Maple board that`s 2 plus inches thick. If you plan on cutting many you better be prepared .I did add the roller guides , new tires and, a Baldor motor.As with any tool , you can buy cheap stuff over and over or you can buy the better stuff once.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 11:44:36 PM by Tim Crosby »

ron w

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2017, 05:06:20 PM »
   It looks like a small bench top saw is not going to work. The quality I have seen on the small ones just is not there. I was hoping that there was someone making saws built like the big ones, just smaller. I do have room for a big saw, but not by much. I just moved into the house a few months ago and I am trying not have it overflowing right away. After living in apartment for too many years I am all excited about finally being able to get the fun tools! But I can only fit so much. I won't be parking the car in the garage much longer.

Looking at the Woodcraft website. What do you think of this one? https://www.woodcraft.com/products/jet-15-bandsaw-3hp-model-jwbs-15-3?via=573621bd69702d0676000002%2C573621e069702d0676000f61%2C5764018e69702d3ae3000bf8

I have a Jet milling machine and its great. Would something like this work for light metal cutting? Best of all it is an inch bigger than my dad's saw. Ha!

Jet are decent tools.  always have been since their introduction in the US. although you don't need to spend that much on bandsaw for general wood working, you will be happy with it. most Jet tools are copies of Rockwell or porter cable tools whose patents have expired. they are generally made with similar quality alloys as the Us made counter part,.... I have seen that many of the earlier Jet 14 in. bandsaw and 10 inch tablesaw part numbers are made up of a prefex Jet number, followed by a Rockwell number for the same part.  I would recommend a typical (any brand) 14 inch band saw on it's own stand as the minimum saw for any shop handling any wood other than Balsa. I run 2 and 3 inch sugar and big leaf maple in my 14 incher all the time, building sleigh beds, and the only problems have to do with supporting the size of the pieces I am cutting, which would be an issue on any make of 14 inch band saw. to be honest the size of a band saw has more to do with the size of work piece than any other aspect......specifically, the size of the table, to support large and/or long pieces and the depth of the throat to get large pieces past the blade. anything a gunstock maker or average wood worker might run on a band saw, can easily be handled by any one of the typical 14 in. saws by any maker. sometimes we connect price with quality, in may cases an entry level 14 inch band saw will have a frame made by the same maker as a "professional quality" saw. the real difference in 14 inch saws comes in the time period that they are or were made in. beyond about 1970 +/-, all of them are pretty much the same,.....you simply end up paying for the name on your saw.  pre-1970 +/- the Rockwells and /or Porter cables stand proud as the best you can get. if I were to look for a 14 inch saw today, I wood look for a machine of the fore-mentioned make and manufacture date. they are visually and of course mechanically better in all aspects. this holds true for just about any home shop or light commercial tool of the era.

ron w

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2017, 05:17:06 PM »
Ron W when I said went through I mean , wore out, tore up , etc. . One of them had the motor go out , on the other one the  flimsy cast zinc or whatever it was made of top guide holder broke. Those saws just don`t hold up . Cutting one or two stocks is one thing , those two saws probably cut no more than 60 gunstock blanks apiece before being junk. Which really isn't that bad for as cheaply as they are made . My Rockwell has cut more than both of them and, still cuts very good. As far as running too much tension on my blades , I`ve used metal cutting Rockwell bandsaws that had coolant , autofeed , and bladewelders so I`m confident that I know as much about setting up my bandsaw , as you do .When it comes to bandsaws  theres a lot of difference between cutting thin stuff and cutting a hard dense Maple board that`s 2 plus inches thick. If you plan on cutting many you better be prepared .I did add the roller guides , new tires and, a Baldor motor.As with any tool , you can buy cheap stuff over and over or you can buy the better stuff once.

I build mostly cabinets and furniture and have had my Harbor Freight saw for about 12 years now, it still cuts and works the same as it did when brand new. if you've ever seen a good quality sleigh bed, you will see that the sleigh shaped posts are made of thick lumber, on my beds they are made of 2-1/2" thick sugar or big leaf maple or walnut...... not exactly thin or soft lumber.  as I've previously said,..... the key to keeping a band saw running right is in the knowledge of bandsaws in the operator.

n stephenson

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2017, 06:14:17 PM »
Sometimes the "key " to keeping anything going is starting out with a tool that is up to the task at hand.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2017, 08:23:31 PM »
If you go to the Jet web site that saw you are looking at is for wood only and is way more saw than you will ever use. Save some money and get a very good saw at Grizzly Tools. They have many models for a GOOD price. I have an older 16" - 1 hp model that is a work-horse and does anything I ask of it. Bought it used for $200 fifteen years ago - no regrets! It does not have roller bearing guides it tracks & cuts just fine no issues. I started with my dad's 10" Atlas/Craftsman bandsaw in the 60's then went through two 14" Harbor Freight saws now I have this Grizzly and LOVE it. The blade you use is VERY IMPORTANT as to how the saw performs. A 14" saw with a 3/4 HP motor is a great combination for the average builder it will do all you ask of it with the right blade. Don't get sucked in buying all the "bells & whistles". Good luck :) NOTE: I got a Harbor Freight vertical/horizontal  metal cutting band saw that I use for metal and it does OK - not the best but OK with a quality Bi-Metal blade. The blades Harbor Freight sells are garbage and will not cut metal (maybe aluminum foil).   
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

ron w

« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2017, 08:24:45 PM »
the harbor freight 14 in saw has the same frame as the delta, Rockwell, Powermatic, jet, shop fox, and any other 14 inch saw of the same cast  C-frame design sold today. the foundries that make them sell them to anyone who produces a 14 inch saw and uses the same frame design. it has been this way about 1970 . have a look at the frames,....you will see all the bungs and flat spots in the castings for all the other manufacturers to put their preferred brand specific parts on.  to be honest, from brand to brand, these 14 inch c-framed saws are all pretty much identical. it's just too expensive to differentiate designs and still compete against the other brands for the same few hundred bucks. it comes down to whether you like green, grey, white, orange, or gold paint and how much you want to pay for the color of paint you like.
   if you are breaking guide brackets, you don't have the saw set up right or you are taking the edge off your blade by setting the guides too deep into the blade and then horsing a piece of stock into a dull blade with the set taken out because the teeth are dulled on the outside of the blade. this will make the blade not want to track around a curve, because the set is what gives the cut the clearance needed to cut around a curve, or you are using too wide a band for the radii you want to cut around and binding the blade which puts undue stress on the guide brackets.  if you are wearing out bottom bearings, you have the blade tension set way too high, or the drive belt tension set way too high. the HF saw is perfectly capable of handling any job any that the other so-called "better brands" can handle. I have had one far too long to be convinced otherwise. it all boils down to what you know about setting up a band saw to do the job you want it to do and how tolerant you are to dull blades.

ron w

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2017, 08:28:09 PM »
If you go to the Jet web site that saw you are looking at is for wood only and is way more saw than you will ever use. Save some money and get a very good saw at Grizzly Tools. They have many models for a GOOD price. I have an older 16" - 1 hp model that is a work-horse and does anything I ask of it. Bought it used for $200 fifteen years ago - no regrets! It does not have roller bearing guides it tracks & cuts just fine no issues. I started with my dad's 10" Atlas/Craftsman bandsaw in the 60's then went through two 14" Harbor Freight saws now I have this Grizzly and LOVE it. The blade you use is VERY IMPORTANT as to how the saw performs. A 14" saw with a 3/4 HP motor is a great combination for the average builder it will do all you ask of it with the right blade. Don't get sucked in buying all the "bells & whistles". Good luck :) NOTE: I got a Harbor Freight vertical/horizontal  metal cutting band saw that I use for metal and it does OK - not the best but OK with a quality Bi-Metal blade. The blades Harbor Freight sells are garbage and will not cut metal (maybe aluminum foil).   

i'll agree,....you can't pay 10 bucks for a bandsaw blade an expect it to be a good blade.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2017, 11:48:16 PM »
  I think Bill has gotten what he needed to know, along with some he didn't.  so I am locking this thread.

Tim C.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 11:49:13 PM by Tim Crosby »