Author Topic: Sooooo... custom sand casting (brass)  (Read 4958 times)

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
Sooooo... custom sand casting (brass)
« on: October 04, 2015, 01:34:58 AM »
A few years back it became too time consuming to run all of my brass sand castings (primarily a few specific box designs, some sideplates etc) here by myself and I was able to work with a very small-scale brass foundry to get castings run in sand, which is important to me, as well as in the right alloy/color of soft yellow brass.  Unfortunately the company with which I was working is no longer able to work with small individual runs of loose patterns like this.  It's too bad because while their stuff certainly involved a bit of extra cleanup, it had a very authentic 'look,' was in the right brass and they were fairly affordable - dare I say cheap?

Before I start the whole shopping-around process all over again, can anyone recommend a company that can and is willing to do something like this?  Figured there might be some folks here that are doing something like this likewise and may be able to point me toward someone who already has a grasp of what is involved in running brass gun furnishings, and is willing to do small runs without charging and arm and a leg.

Any recommendations or leads very much appreciated!
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Re: Sooooo... custom sand casting (brass)
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 04:27:11 AM »
I would talk to Reaves Goehring.   He is very picky about his founders.   Of course you probably already thought about that. 

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 05:06:32 AM »
PM your way.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Willbarq

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 06:23:34 AM »
http://stephenchastain.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=6&zenid=a7abaeccb70209429b8389bd6463f32b  I thought this might be helpful. I've had it saved to my favorites for a while now. Not bought it.

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 03:58:26 PM »
The gent from Ft Vausse Outfitters does casting (buckles and anvils)... perhaps ask him about this.

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 05:38:16 PM »
Eric, I'm sure there's a few us of us out here that would be interested in what you are going to have cast if you'd like to share that.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 12:13:03 AM »
I appreciate the replies everyone; I got a few great leads and will be following up on those so it looks like I'll find someone to work with.

Tom I'm trying to get all my patterns back, I think the company I was using lost some of them that I hadn't used in many years, but thus far, I got back a few that are most important to me - a cast Lehigh box modeled after a fairly substantial (compared to thin sheet) cast box on a John Moll rifle, and a very accurate copy of the "lamb" box off the lion/lamb rifle as well as similar to the Coykendall/Oerter rifle also.  Also a blank arrow back side plate for Lehighs that I can file out any way that I want.  I sold a bunch of these on this site a number of years ago when I was able to get large quantities of them cast. 
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Hefner

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 03:49:13 AM »
Eric,
Last February, I had a similar conversation with Reaves Goehring at the Lewisburg show.  I retired from Arizona State University a few years ago.  One of my colleagues taught welding, metal casting, etc. in the College of Engineering Technologies.  The Art Department also had a small scale foundry to cast jewelry.  I suggested that Reaves might contact local Universities or Community colleges to see if they had the proper facilities and the willingness to do small runs of castings.

Steve Hefner

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 01:48:00 PM »
Guys,

Mostly I use ready made castings.  But, when there is a special requirement, I have these cast at the 18th Century Hardware in Derry, Pa.  They have made castings both from original pieces and from wooden patterns.  These are sand castings, I have been pleased with both the price and the product.

Jim

18th Century Hardware

Phone: (724) 694-2708
 Address: 131 E. Third St., Derry, PA 15627
 E-mail: 18thcenturyhardware@gmail.com

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 04:10:25 PM »
Eric, I have one of your heavy cast raised Lehigh ( Moll )  lids in my parts drawer. Sounds like you have that mold back but If it's of any value to you as a pattern please let me know.

I bought 2 of these from you many years ago and am finally using one on a current build. They are a serious hunk of brass.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 04:21:02 PM by Tom Currie »